Mai-chan no Onee-san Shiiku Gohan. - Vol. 4 Ch. 19 - Mom's Teriyaki

Dex-chan lover
Mai chan's smile and embarrassed face when Tama went mega based was super cute.
I always look forward to each new chapter.
Thank you Fe scans for the translation.

Group Leader
I was just thinking of this manga a day or two ago. Thank you for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
When I make chicken teriyaki, I remove the skin and as much fat as I can mechanically. Then I marinate the chicken in teriyaki sauce (in the refrigerator). Finally, I broil the chicken.

Dex-chan lover
New character (?) reminds me of Suzuki from Seihantaina Kimi to Boku, cute.

Dex-chan lover
This is a pretty cute manga, but as always, you can't help but consider how much better it would be without all the cooking scenes. Like, had it simply had a couple panels to let you know it happened, nothing would change at all plot-wise. Or if they did the cooking but no dialog bubbles was dedicated to it and it was just panels being bg for their conversations. Instead we currently have over half the chapter be unnecessary cooking show, having you zone out and skim, risking to miss actual plot.

Dex-chan lover
This is a pretty cute manga, but as always, you can't help but consider how much better it would be without all the cooking scenes. Like, had it simply had a couple panels to let you know it happened, nothing would change at all plot-wise. Or if they did the cooking but no dialog bubbles was dedicated to it and it was just panels being bg for their conversations. Instead we currently have over half the chapter be unnecessary cooking show, having you zone out and skim, risking to miss actual plot.
Mfw someone want to remove the cooking scenes from a cooking manga:

210813397_792231478324519_7453241539527755950_n.png

Dex-chan lover
When I make chicken teriyaki, I remove the skin and as much fat as I can mechanically. Then I marinate the chicken in teriyaki sauce (in the refrigerator). Finally, I broil the chicken.

I’m not entirely sure this is specifically chicken teriyaki. Because for the first half of this chapter they refer to the meat as pork.

Dex-chan lover
I’m not entirely sure this is specifically chicken teriyaki. Because for the first half of this chapter they refer to the meat as pork.
If I ate pork, then I would still marinate it and would probably still broil it.

Dex-chan lover
Mfw someone want to remove the cooking scenes from a cooking manga:
In what way is this a cooking manga? There is no genre-tag specifying it as such, I just checked its tags to be certain.
And the cooking is just a side to the plot (pun intended), not baked in (pun not intended). So just like my initial complaint said - there would be no loss to the story if those scenes were taken out entirely. In fact, even beyond considering only the story, the cooking scenes could be replaced with a literal recipe attachment and there would be absolutely no change in any way.

This is not shokugeki no soma, it's not dungeon meshi, it's not a cooking manga. It is a cute slice of life manga with way too many (and way too detailed & long) cooking scenes, and they add nothing to the story.
I could agree to it being an eating manga - like that one about an OL providing expensive amounts of dinner to the neighbours boy after he's done with his sports club - as those dinner table scenes are generally a bit more driving. And while the same scenes could be moved to another backdrop/context, it's unlikely it would be much better in any way as the dinner table serves as great backdrop for SoL conversations after school.

Dex-chan lover
In what way is this a cooking manga? There is no genre-tag specifying it as such, I just checked its tags to be certain. And the cooking is just a side to the plot. not baked in, so just like my initial complaint said - there would be no loss to the story if those scenes were taken out entirely.

This is not shokugeki no soma, it's not dungeon meshi, it's not a cooking manga. It is a cute slice of life manga with way too many (and way too detailed & long) cooking scenes, and they add nothing to the story.
I could agree to it being an eating manga - like that one about an OL providing expensive amounts of dinner to the neighbours boy after he's done with his sports club - as those dinner table scenes are generally a bit more driving. And while the same scenes could be moved to another backdrop/context, it's unlikely it would be much better in any way as the dinner table serves as great backdrop for SoL conversations after school.
Damn bro, for me if I read the manga and see the recipe for it, it's "cooking" for me, whether it's a main or a side thing mixed in with slice of life or shounen, if half of it includes cooking and has a recipe at the end, it's cooking, well in the end it's a you problem so I see no point debating about this honestly lul

Dex-chan lover
Damn bro, for me if I read the manga and see the recipe for it, it's "cooking" for me, whether it's a main or a side thing mixed in with slice of life or shounen, if half of it includes cooking and has a recipe at the end, it's cooking, well in the end it's a you problem so I see no point debating about this honestly lul
I did some edits between you replying and posting. Not anything really important that requires a change to your response, but mentioning it more in case you missed it. Mainly it is pointing out two puns, and adding that in this manga the cooking scenes add as little as a recipe-attachment would've

Dex-chan lover
And the cooking is just a side to the plot (pun intended), not baked in (pun not intended). So just like my initial complaint said - there would be no loss to the story if those scenes were taken out entirely. In fact, even beyond considering only the story, the cooking scenes could be replaced with a literal recipe attachment and there would be absolutely no change in any way.

If they did that there would be nothing to actually sell for the manga and so it wouldn’t be published. There is a reason titles are a paragraph long now, it’s because you only have the title to sell the volume and so they have to describe the synopsis in the title. Luckily, this is a cooking/doing/focus manga so they just focus on that one aspect which is their main selling point, in the case cooking to draw people attention. It has you, there are millions of other slice of life series out there but your here complaining about this one rather than dropping it and finding one that’s more your taste.

Dex-chan lover
If they did that there would be nothing to actually sell for the manga and so it wouldn’t be published. There is a reason titles are a paragraph long now, it’s because you only have the title to sell the volume and so they have to describe the synopsis in the title. Luckily, this is a cooking/doing/focus manga so they just focus on that one aspect which is their main selling point, in the case cooking to draw people attention. It has you, there are millions of other slice of life series out there but your here complaining about this one rather than dropping it and finding one that’s more your taste.
Because when you strip out all the cooking scenes, it is to my tastes. And since I can jsut scroll past them quickly, it is still to my tastes even with them, and I merely think all the effort/pages dedicated to them are a waste as I could have more of the good instead.
I like cooking mangas (this isn't one - even if it has huge amount of pages dedicated to recipes), I like doting mangas (and this is somewhat unique in that it reverses the dynamic there), and I have no clue what a focus manga is, but I probably like that too.

Users who are viewing this thread