Mai no Mushigurashi - Vol. 1 Ch. 8 - Orb Weaver

Dex-chan lover
Ughhh, I hate walking into spider webs. I always feel paranoid that the spider is lurking on me somewhere...

Great angle there on page 8. Very nice.

Group Leader
Nana's absolute disdain towards some of the bugs always gives me a good laugh.
I wonder what she thinks of brown marmorated stink bugs or stink bugs in general. Those fuckers are annoying and not to mention the damage they do to the crops.

Dex-chan lover
Well I learned a new vocab word today

Svelte: adj. Slender or graceful in figure or outline; slim.
adj. Attractively thin; gracefully slender.
adj. refined, delicate

Lesbian entomologist here! The spider featured in this chapter is not your everyday orb weaver. They are a triangle spider (Hyptiotes sp.)! These little guys are a member of the cribellate orb weaver family, a bizarre clade of spiders which have no venom (the vast majority of spiders are venomous but not medically important). Instead, they wrap up the insect with their incredibly sticky silk, crushing them to death in the process. The triangle spiders hold the web taut for hours on end until they sense the vibrations of prey caught in the web. They then release the strings they held which causes the web to collapse in on the poor insect. Such is life, I suppose.

Dex-chan lover
That's one way to face death... also bikinis....niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Fed-Kun's army
Oooh ... I remember "The Spider's Thread" being referenced in Erased, though it was a bit more sinister there.

I'm going to be sad when Pleasantly Depressing Grandpa croaks. And I'm slightly chagrined that Okura-kun survived the headless katydid attack.

Users who are viewing this thread