Make Doujinshi tag and Magazine Demographic field mutually exclusive

Contributor
I noticed it is no longer possible to add Magazine Demographics to entry pages for works that are not originally Japanese, and I strongly agree with that change and the reasoning given for it:
Only applicable to Japanese titles serialized in a magazine. In which case, it is the demographic of said magazine, no matter the content of the title itself.
In line with that, I think this restriction should also cover doujinshi titles. Most if not all are Japanese titles, but are those serialized in a magazine? (If it is, then the Doujinshi tag is incorrect and should be removed from it.)

Doujinshi, by definition, are self-published works in Japan and do not have associations with Japanese publisher magazines. Magazine Demographics therefore, do not apply to these titles.

In the case of derivative doujinshi, the original work being parodied may have its own Magazine Demographic, but the derivative work itself shouldn't have one. Some cases have it copy the one from the original, but that's wrong since it is not published in the same magazine as the work it is based upon; it is self-published fan work and almost always considered unofficial.

There are examples of authors/artists making doujinshi of their own work like this or this, but I think even in such cases there should be no Magazine Demographic. The derivative work might be considered canon in some cases, but it's still not associated with any publisher magazine — which the Magazine Demographic field is supposed to be based off of.

If the Doujinshi tag is set, the only acceptable Magazine Demographic should be "None" and vice versa, if the Magazine Demographic is set to something other than "None", it cannot also have the Doujinshi tag - because anything already being published (i.e. serialized) in a Japanese publisher's magazine cannot also be self-published.

Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread