MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

• I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate cryptocurrency to keep it that way.

Votes: 707 15.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate a server ($50-$90/mo) for MangaDex to

Votes: 473 10.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used affiliate sponsorship to sustain itself.

Votes: 1,045 22.5%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used non-intrusive ads to sustain itself.

Votes: 2,424 52.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Sola posted:

In addition, Brazilians aren't forced to use the flag of Portugal and Mexicans don't have to use the flag of Spain. Why aren't they forced to use the flag of a European nation?
It has nothing to do with nationality and everything with the languages being considered distinct enough that they warranted separate entries, and the same can't really be said of BrE and AmE. The flags are just the simplest shorthand icons for the languages we have, not nationalities of the translators or anything of the sort.

If a Portuguese scanlator writes a Brazilian Portuguese chapter, they would need to use the language entry for Brazilian Portuguese. It's not a matter of flag preference.

edit: Oh, hang on, you were talking about the user profile flag, sorry. Yeah, for v5 we're probably completely removing those anyway, they're not really useful. The selection is so limited.

How about making a disguised patreon like having one of the staff who can draw to some extent make a patreon where they can accept donations for their “art” and distribute it to whatever it is needed for, and of course keep a predetermined amount for themself maybe as compensation.

@N0Mi0 You have never gotten a virus from an ad, clearly. I have, and it's not a pleasant experience. I use adblocker primarily for security reasons, and as a result I will inevitably be nagged at to whitelist this site. And I will not, because guess what? I don't want any viruses, from any source.
"Oh, but they'll use trusted advertisers who won't ever try to infect users"
None of the advertisers that would be willing to work with Mangadex would be completely trustworthy. This is a site that effectively is operating outside of USA and EU laws, and that means it is going to have to go with whatever advertisers pay. No matter how sleazy, how untrustworthy, and how unscrupulous. Usually they seem on the level at first, but around December-ish they pull out the worst kind of ads and viruses in order to meet end-of-the-year profit quotas. This is not a group of people you want to start dealing with, this site will turn into just another "well, we're very sorry that a few users got their computers bricked but we're working with our sponsers to resolve the issue, now turn off that pesky adblock! :^)" cesspool of unaccountability.

Contributor
@BlindWatcher
I have to say, that if you've gotten a virus nowadays, that most probably was a fault on your part. It takes very basic "IT education" to not get viruses, you would be surprised at how many devs don't use any antivirus at all, or only turn it on when they know they're going somewhere dirty. Actually, win10 handles it itself pretty well. But yeah.

>trustworthy advertisers
When ever they've been trustworthy? Catching ghosts? The very idea of trying to use laws for protection for this kind of site is silly. It hosts manga translations, c'mon.

Miku best girl
Admin
@johnstriker

All it takes is 1 hater to blow the cover story on a scheme like this. And believe me, we have a lot of haters.

@N0Mi0
I'm using an Atom powered netbook to browse the web quite often. IF you are familiar with the old 10'' Atom powered machines, they are really damn weak. They have no problem with single threaded work, but multitasking kicks them really hard. What does this mean in practice? If you have something running in background, everything goes slow as hell. So I don't want to run an antivirus program. And if every site I browse is a site I can trust, I will never need one. If I can't trust MD it means I cannot browse it on my travel device unless I do something about it, and that something seems to be an ad-blocking script. But now we come to the next problem. On my travel device, I have a limited data plan, so technically every Kb matters. So having to download a script meant to run an ad just increases data traffic pointlessly, and the time it takes to download the script is also there. Now after downloading the ad script, I have to run a script meant to block the previous script. The blocking script is actually not run at the time of the blocking, but permanently on background, so it increases load times for every page I try to load. I don't want to have to use it. For as long as MD has had a support option, I have been donating for that exact reason: I want them to be sustainable in a way that doesn't end up with me receiving worse service.

Power Uploader
@JohnStriker Pretty sure they'll get reported fast if a small patreon page suddenly gathered many backers in a short amount of time, and I've heard that Patreon's known for shutting down creators on their own whim. In short, MD is simply unable to take the easy road due to risk of getting themselves jailed so we now have to deal with this problem.

What about patreon page or something like that i dont know if its suggested before but its very good way to support

Edit: nwm i got my answers :D

If you go for ads then please also include a crypto-currency donation option alongside it, I will always use an adblock but I am happy to donate crypto to help support this website.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@PankoPanko The crypto option has existed for a good long while now and still does. We're not going to just remove it for no reason.

Why don't you just receive PayPal donations and then convert it to crypto currency yourselves.

There are a few sites that have a crypto tool that you can voluntarily open and it would start mining. That can be implemented here too. Would that be a good idea? Personally i would open it while i am reading on the site.

Double-page supporter
You guys need to earn something with the fantastic service you guys have been providing us with consistently. Go ahead and brings in ads, it’s cool.

Just let us donate through Paypal again. Ads are disgusting and crypto kills the convenience of the old one-off donations.

Registering an account on some crypto website or app is piss easy. You don't need to know anything about crypto either.
>register an account
>buy some bitcoin with your credit card
>send bitcoin to mangadex wallet
Done. No need to read the white paper or worry about bear market.

Power Uploader
@RedandWhite Due to the recent legal trouble, they're no longer able to utilize PayPal or Patreon, as both will gladly help the government track them down should any report comes fly in.

Contributor
There is no option
Code:
"I've considered donating but overly political corrent moderation team convinced me otherwise"
so I voted neither.

Group Leader
@tetsujin307
related to your comment 9 days ago how it was hard to get crypto w/o altering tax returns. just google a local btc atm. easy as fuck. they usually even take cash. hands down best method to get weed too lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread