Maou-jou de Oyasumi - Vol. 7 Ch. 88 - It Contains Handmade Chocolate

Dex-chan lover
for giri vs honmei, its better to leave the words in and just add tn note, people who read manga should already know this kind of stuff

but still grateful for the chapter

thanks for the treat :)

Contributor
Dressing like that for Demon Monk, huh

Also I don't agree with not translating it. They're words you can translate, so it's fine to translate them. Pretty much the only time I'll advocate not translating is if the translation would sound strange in English (like how often "brother/sister/etc" are thrown around in Japanese, but in English we use first names).

She actually dressed up like that to seduce him lmao since he's a monk

Dex-chan lover
Good laugh

Something i learned today
"You can drop demons morale by giving Grateful chocolate"

Aggregator gang
@Swifft I think grateful chocolate sounds kinda strange, not to mention these concepts don't exist in English culture, would be weird and redundant to translate them.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe swap Grateful, with Thank you. Then swap Genuine with like "special" or "just for you" etc.

I think I am used to it being translated to obligatory chocolate. And while it is true that we don't really have the concept, at least not in America. We do at least have a concept of giving everyone something on these holidays (eg. valentines day). For instance, it is common in schools (especially for young children in elementary) to give something to everyone in their class. Some people take the initiative to confess/give something to the one they like on this day as well. Though, I believe we primarily view it as a day for couples rather than confessing, and I have never heard of a specific name for "love chocolates".
X2.png

Grateful may convey her feelings, but since she doesn't know what the word means anyways(as she stated), and I do not believe that was the message the one who taught it to her was trying to convey, obligatory is just a better fit. It is a common translation and being told that you are receiving it because the giver was obliged/had no choice by social convention, sounds quite painful as well(ans thus fits the story better).

Since a tl note was used anyways, use the common translation (and tl note the joke if needed) or leave it untranslated (an tl note the meaning).

Aggregator gang
Took few seconds for me to read the "Grateful" explanation to know what is it about, since other people usually translated it as "Obligatory" instead. I'm surprise that we didn't have a "war" with Demon receiving Genuine and Grateful chocolate.

Users who are viewing this thread