Maou-sama ni Shoukan sareta kedo Kotoba ga Tsuujinai - Vol. 2 Ch. 11 - She’s Hiding Something From Me

Dex-chan lover
@jsh020

100% it's based on this pokémon: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Goomy_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
704Goomy.png

@twinklecake
I wonder whether he is truly useless or not like you say.
You have seen that he tries to help and even Mary tries to keep him from doing things, she doesn't even let him hold a knife or go into the kitchen, he does try.
I guess he could try to look for a way to learn the language, alas, no one has tried to show him.
He is not pathetic, you are simply used to those isekai protagonist that magically learn the language and gain cheat abilities that help him do that or so I assume, I may be wrong about that.
I don't see anything wrong with him right now, Mary doesn't have a problem with him and she doesn't want him to do things, she also summoned him there and it probably wasn't to make him a butler, there is something going on behind the scenes I believe.
This is something weird to be nitpicky about, a main character that is just laying around in the world he was summoned into.
I would understand if he knew the language and they requested something in exchange for him staying and then refusing to do so while staying.
We all know that if he were asked to do chores, he would do them gladly, especially for Mary.
We know he isn't a bad person, let us not be unnecessarily hard on him or am I missing something crucial that makes him unlikable?
He is in the gray zone for me right now.
You can bet he isn't useless to Mary at least though, she summoned him for a reason, whether that reason is to be a pet or something else entirely is something we will have to see.
Plot twist: He is the demon Lord XD

Dex-chan lover
I hope at some point he makes an attempt to learn the language of the natives.

Dex-chan lover
@Mizumachi I'm not used to shit, jack. People aren't suited to just not doing anything forever, unless they're a certain type of person (the useless type). That you're not getting this intuitively demonstrates either unnecessary stubbornness or a worrying lack of perspective on your part. How the fuck can you just remain content when you can't do anything, even understand what's going on around you, as you're being kept for purposes that themselves are fully unclear? He's just such an impossibly passive entity in the world that him being thought of as someone worth having around should be stretching your suspension of disbelief to the point where it takes away at least some enjoyment of the story.

@twinklecake
I get this. The MC doesn’t really move the story along, it mostly drags him around. The issue is that the chapters are too short with no main goal. He’s not trying to go back, there’s no evil entity, he doesn’t have to justify his existence or get stronger or smarter. Of course this is slice of life, so a lack of a main goal isn’t rare. However, I think the manga puts too much focus on cute events instead of characters or plot. There are hero’s but they most certainly do not feel like antagonist. It would be more interesting if the heroes actually posed a threat and our MC would use whatever skills to aid the demon queen or something. It would add more purpose to the MC than just being a reactor.

Dex-chan lover
Why did Mary even hide this thing? Sneaking out to play just seems like a silly thing to sneak out.

@Mizumachi
@twinklecake and @SilverSeagleLive said everything I wanted to say, so I won't repeat it. Then again, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
On a side note, I agree with you; this manga is a serious slow burn. I don't think he'll ever learn the language, though; even if he does, it'll probably be in the last chapter. I mean, look at the title.

@Thoxi1026
Before anything else, a tip: write out the entire username if you want to tag someone. I wouldn't have seen your comment if it wasn't for Mizumachi's one. No harm done, though.

With regards to what you said, I'll first quickly address the topic of his appearance. He's short, scrawny, and looks plain. In my books, that's below average as far as manga protagonists are concerned. But we all have our own opinions; if you think he doesn't look that bad, then so be it. You're free to think that way.

Regarding his usefulness, though, I must disagree. I'm not asking for a Mary Sue. I'm not asking for a perfect character. I just want someone worthy of the female lead. That's one of my biggest issues with generic harem mangas (as well as specific cases like this one). The author makes the protagonist a dull, unremarkable character so the reader can self-insert himself into the protagonist. I hate protagonists like that. I'm not saying I want some super OP character (in fact, I abhor generic isekai protagonists; they ooze wish fulfillment) but at least give me someone with personality. Someone with agency. Maybe some wit, too. Someone that's at least interesting. Someone that stands out. Someone that plays an integral role in the story; someone that will be dearly missed if he suddenly disappears. Not this completely average, passive, and unassuming pathetic excuse of a protagonist. He isn't even side character material (at least from what we've seen so far). He brings nothing to the table aside from the fact he's harmless, not a pervert, and generally has good intentions (I'm looking at you, Issei, from High School DxD, you absolute disgrace of a protagonist). He's a decent human being, sure, but a decent protagonist? Someone that's supposed to carry most of the weight of a story? The central character? Nah. He falls short of that role by a mile, at least in my opinion, like most protagonists nowadays.

@dummyaccount12345
I see, point taken.
I would be completely behind what you said if the story actually needed someone like that, but there is no conflict, so maybe that is why I can't see him or don't mind his stagnant nature.
It wouldn't hurt to have him be more active though.
Maybe there will be a conflict soon, there is something obviously going on.
I probably also just like the status quo currently.

@Mizumachi
Yeah, I am definitely with you on this one. MC has tried to make himself useful a few times already with like the pillow chapter and diversifying their diet but Mary has always gotten in the way because 'it was dangerous'. Mary clearly doesn't want him hurting himself because she cares and the reason he was even summoned in the first place was probably because she was lonely. This has been a pretty straight forward story with short chapters from the beginning. I would agree that this is has been a slice of life in a fantasy world. Who knows though, there's still room for the story to become something different from a slice of life not that I am asking for it though. I see people complaining that MC shouldn't be comfortable in his current situation but from the chapters where he got sick, it should be pretty clear about how he feels about the world he's from and how he feels about his new situation in the world with Mary. The other criticisms I just can't get my head around so I am just gonna wrap that up as trying to make the manga into something it never was.

Dex-chan lover
@Akabane Yeah it's frustrating, if some random dumb tourist can learn the basics of a language by just travelling and talking to locals then this useless excuse of a MC can do it too, the suspension of disbelief is growing thinner ever chapter

Users who are viewing this thread