Maria no Danzai

Dex-chan lover
Oh I'm always on the lookout for good manga. Shame only four or so have ever been made. Have to sort through a lot of garbage like this to find something actually decent considering how few authors actually have creative ambition.
Well now I want to know what these four are. I'm genuinely curious and would appreciate the recs!

Double-page supporter
Well now I want to know what these four are. I'm genuinely curious and would appreciate the recs!
Nothing special unfortunately, they're mostly already well known. In no particular order:

Berserk obviously. Scope, ambition, richness of themes and characters. Golden age arc is incredible, but everyone knows about this.

Blame! Another fairly popular one, if slightly more niche. Atmospheric, meditative quiet scenes interspersed with intense violence. Thematically abstract in a way that it can be applicable to all sorts of real life experiences.

Nausicaä manga. By Miyazaki himself. Has an ambitious scope to rival Berserk that extends far beyond its anime adaptation. By the end explores moral extremes of human nature to an extent I've never seen before.

Freesia. Lesser known. By far and away the most tightly written manga I've ever encountered. Set up, payoff, character and thematic arcs, social commentary, all woven together so tightly it's made multiple rereads even more enjoyable than the first.

Be warned that all of these have pretty graphic themes if you're the squeamish type, though I doubt that given the content of the manga on this thread.

I think by comparison Maria no Danzai is more akin to popcorn media. Fun while you're reading it, if that's what you're into, but it has little "nutritional value," not so much that'll stick with you once you're finished.

Edit: I hope you find at least one of these you didn't know about and enjoy it!

Dex-chan lover
Nothing special unfortunately, they're mostly already well known. In no particular order:

Berserk obviously. Scope, ambition, richness of themes and characters. Golden age arc is incredible, but everyone knows about this.

Blame! Another fairly popular one, if slightly more niche. Atmospheric, meditative quiet scenes interspersed with intense violence. Thematically abstract in a way that it can be applicable to all sorts of real life experiences.

Nausicaä manga. By Miyazaki himself. Has an ambitious scope to rival Berserk that extends far beyond its anime adaptation. By the end explores moral extremes of human nature to an extent I've never seen before.

Freesia. Lesser known. By far and away the most tightly written manga I've ever encountered. Set up, payoff, character and thematic arcs, social commentary, all woven together so tightly it's made multiple rereads even more enjoyable than the first.

Be warned that all of these have pretty graphic themes if you're the squeamish type, though I doubt that given the content of the manga on this thread.

I think by comparison Maria no Danzai is more akin to popcorn media. Fun while you're reading it, if that's what you're into, but it has little "nutritional value," not so much that'll stick with you once you're finished.

Edit: I hope you find at least one of these you didn't know about and enjoy it!
Those are classics indeed! I knew about all of them except Freesia... And yet I've read none of them! Though I did see the Nausicaa movie, but who hasn't?

Of all of those, Berserk has firmly been in my "To-read list that I'll totally get to one day, I swear.", being the classic among classics of manga.

I'll keep those in mind, and may get to cracking them open eventually, especially if I feel in a more somber mood, since I admit I usually read manga more for relaxation.

Anyway, thanks for your response, and have a good one!

Double-page supporter
Those are classics indeed! I knew about all of them except Freesia... And yet I've read none of them! Though I did see the Nausicaa movie, but who hasn't?

Of all of those, Berserk has firmly been in my "To-read list that I'll totally get to one day, I swear.", being the classic among classics of manga.

I'll keep those in mind, and may get to cracking them open eventually, especially if I feel in a more somber mood, since I admit I usually read manga more for relaxation.

Anyway, thanks for your response, and have a good one!
Yeah I'll fully admit these aren't necessarily good picks if you're looking for a relaxing experience. I usually play video game to relax/when my brain juices are low and read when I'm looking for a more active experience, so my recommendations skew in that direction.

Double-page supporter
Reminds me of SAW and I don't know if that's a good thing... :worry:

The teenage bullies think and talk like exploitative adults (the first bully to die was more teenage-ish in his twisted thinking though). I guess it's to justify their murders in the story?

this manga is so shit in so many levels
1.the mc is a pussy he deserves it
2.the mother is a bitch
3.lets be real , a female in a revenge theme?? no
4.looks more like a shoujo manga
5.i already hate the author , hope he/she doesnt have a family cuz they are a bunch of losers who make garbage like this.
U seem like the second character that got offed. Just childish and senseless.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
If this manga doesn't end below 50 chapters, then it is just getting dragged on for no reason

The plot is the revenge type you could make similarities with like boy's abyss, but as of chp 19(currently reading) the story is progressing fast as it should be.
Hoping this would be the case onward

Supporter
this manga is so shit in so many levels
1.the mc is a pussy he deserves it
2.the mother is a bitch
3.lets be real , a female in a revenge theme?? no
4.looks more like a shoujo manga
5.i already hate the author , hope he/she doesnt have a family cuz they are a bunch of losers who make garbage like this.
What a sad excuse for a human being you're

I would like for the father to get in on it as well. He could be like a double agent. But i see the many problems that can come from it.

Love this manga so far

Can't wait for chapter 22

Also I realized I got a type

1st Dimitri from fire Emblem, then hades from record of ragnarok and now maria

OK fr Can't wait

This series is one of my new favorite guilty pleasures, I can't share this with my friends because if I did they'd think I'm weird, but god do I want to share it with them!!!

Users who are viewing this thread