Marriage of Convenience - Vol. 1 Ch. 24

Dex-chan lover
... I understand that the guy you cheated with is also at fault, especially since he was a manipulative scumbag, but I'm not a fan of the 'I was the victim' narrative. I am a little conflicted since the fact that she was never properly educated (about life in general) is also at fault, but in the end she is still the one that cheated.
Again I understand the context so it's not like I consider her a POS, but still as far as character development goes I would prefer her understanding what she did wrong in her past life in terms of ethics and trying to improve on that to become a better human being rather than the 'I want to change the past just so I don't get thrown out' line of thought we've had until now.
I mean yes she was unlucky and some sad things happened to her in her past life but she wasn't a full blown victim, she has a lot of traits she should improve upon in order to feel like she 'deserved' her second chance at life.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, the more we learn about her, the more surprised I am that she even got a second chance at life. Normally in stories like these you'd expect the main character to have been wronged to the point of unfairness, with the divine intervention serving to allow them a chance to steer their life towards the good life that they "should" have had.

In this case though, a majority of the bad things that happened to her are just the consequences of her own actions, which makes this second chance- granted by literal God- feel completely undeserved. Random even. Like, "I guess you could have done better, so go ahead and try, idk," for no reason other than the fact that she thought about it really hard as she was dying.

... I understand that the guy you cheated with is also at fault, especially since he was a manipulative scumbag, but I'm not a fan of the 'I was the victim' narrative. I am a little conflicted since the fact that she was never properly educated (about life in general) is also at fault, but in the end she is still the one that cheated.
Again I understand the context so it's not like I consider her a POS, but still as far as character development goes I would prefer her understanding what she did wrong in her past life in terms of ethics and trying to improve on that to become a better human being rather than the 'I want to change the past just so I don't get thrown out' line of thought we've had until now.
I mean yes she was unlucky and some sad things happened to her in her past life but she wasn't a full blown victim, she has a lot of traits she should improve upon in order to feel like she 'deserved' her second chance at life.
You perfectly stated what was on my mind. 🫡♥️🔥💯✨

Honestly, the more we learn about her, the more surprised I am that she even got a second chance at life. Normally in stories like these you'd expect the main character to have been wronged to the point of unfairness, with the divine intervention serving to allow them a chance to steer their life towards the good life that they "should" have had.

In this case though, a majority of the bad things that happened to her are just the consequences of her own actions, which makes this second chance- granted by literal God- feel completely undeserved. Random even. Like, "I guess you could have done better, so go ahead and try, idk," for no reason other than the fact that she thought about it really hard as she was dying.
Yup, it doesn't feel deserved, she needs a lot of character development, Zachary too. But she has to realise the wrongs she did, all I am hearing right now are excuses and her acting like the victim, I am not saying she is not, that fernand guy took advantage of her but it takes two to tango, and she still doesn't have any remorse or guilt for that. Her repeatedly telling him about mistresses or past women, when he said he doesn't have any experience 😑😤😮‍💨.

Aggregator gang
I swear the "did not know then" way of writing is so annoying...

Aggregator gang
About all the comments above. The issue with that line of thinking is threefold:
-extreme greviances are the norm for this type of stories, but that does not make it the rule
-if you actually think about the morals of the era, cheating is quite common after consumption or the marriage fell through. It's clear that while the her from her previous life wasn't innocent, the only vice she initiated was her spending habits. For the cheating, she was already ostracized, was approached, courted, seduced and led by the nose. She was made to believe in a love that didn't exist.
-she never attributed her bad end to external factors, she attributed it to her way of life, past mistakes, bad decision-making. If anything, she did not even blame the second prince who was behind the plot or the man who manipulated her. If she isn't worthy of a restart, no one is. Her heart is more pure than any other protagonist.

Users who are viewing this thread