Mary-san - Ch. 131

Dex-chan lover
My backup PC is a used Thinkpad from 2010 that I got for $30. Most PC's can last that long if you just take care of them.
How in the actual hell is that possible, wouldn't the hardware be too old and you need to refurbish it?

Dex-chan lover
How in the actual hell is that possible, wouldn't the hardware be too old and you need to refurbish it?
>Most PC's can last that long if you just take care of them
Okay maybe not most PC's, I'd forgotten how bad modern laptops had gotten in terms of longevity, modern laptops just die faster but if it's a PC you built yourself or a prebuilt, maintenance/replacements/repairs become a lot easier.

For my laptop, I keep the load on it light and it's still running Win7 (might move over to a lighter weight Linux distro). I only use it for watching videos before going to sleep or occasionally using it to help resetup my main PC if something goes wrong with it. it's hooked up to a monitor in my bedroom, I never move it other than to clean it (once every 2-4 months). I replaced the thermal compound when I first got it, the only components I've replaced are the HDD (not included),with a 124GB SSD for $14 and RAM (2GB to a whopping 4GB, $12 on ebay), though I might need to replace a fan and the battery has been dead for as long as I've had it.

I made a similar setup's for my grandma and niece around 2014 with a Thinkpad T61 (from 2007 for $40) and T410 (from 2010 for $120), my grandma only ever used it for E-mail, facebook, and looking up recipes online. I had two SSD's with a freash Windows install on it for both of them, so if either of them ever had a problem or if more than a year had passed I could just swap it out and move any of their important files over. The overall cost for grandma's setup was around $85 (laptop +$40, RAM +$15, two SSD's +$30) and It never took more than 10 minutes to fix any problem she was having.

Old Thinkpads were very, very well built, sadly the newer ones just aren't what they use to be but should still last awhile. Although if anyone wants to try my main advice is replace the thermal compound and avoid third party chargers like they're the fucking plague. Also older ThinkCentre PC's are a good low-budget option (on eBay for $40-50 last I checked) if all you need is a box that connects to the internet.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
if you wanna get a pc that'll last you for 10 years, just massively future proof it: buy 64 gigs of dual channel ram, a ryzen 5950x, a 7800xtx (nvidia is probably better on paper but that's still way too expensive), and a 2TB m.2 SSD from a reputable brand (e.g. crucial) as your boot drive.
you won't feel the need tp upgrade for years, especially if you're not the type to only play shiny new triple A games and instead play the same select few games for hundreds (or even thousands) of hours. I'm still running an 8 year old GPU (GTX 10-series my beloved), but because i tend to stick to indie/potato-optimised games (factorio, ultrakill, tf2, trackmania, etc.) i still have yet to feel the need to upgrade it (though that might change soon seeing as I've had my eye on helldivers 2 for a while now).

My backup PC is a used Thinkpad from 2010 that I got for $30. Most PC's can last that long if you just take care of them.
akshually that's a laptop, not a pc. ☝️🤓

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!

Typos & edit suggestions: @LazyDust
  • shrine of telephone -> shrine of IT, shrine of telecommunications (?)
  • she use to be -> she used to be
  • A PC is up to usage. -> How long a PC lasts depends on usage.

Users who are viewing this thread