Mary-san

Group Leader
I don't get it. She's cute though.
This is based on the Japanese urban legend Mary-san. There are lots of variations, like maybe Mary-san is a doll the parents threw out, or a pedestrian the hit and run driver killed, but generally the phone rings and the protagonist P answers and 'This is Mary-san, I'm in the junkyard.' 'Wha?' and then it hangs up. Later on the phone rings again, P answers, 'This is Mary-san, I'm at [some train station in the city]' and then hangs up. The calls keep coming, and eventually P notices that Mary-san is getting closer to P's house/apartment. It keeps building until finally 'This is Mary-san, I'm right outside your house'. P screams and rips the phone out of the wall and collapses. Then the phone... rings again. P picks up the receiver.. 'Hello?' 'This is Mary-san, I'm right behind you now'. What happens after that varies as well (P dies, P gets stabbed but may survive, etc), but they all have 'This is Mary-san, now I'm right behind you' or 'I'm right behind you now'.

Once you know all that then this makes a lot more sense, like why she always says 'This is Mary-san, now...'

Dex-chan lover
This is based on the Japanese urban legend Mary-san. There are lots of variations, like maybe Mary-san is a doll the parents threw out, or a pedestrian the hit and run driver killed, but generally the phone rings and the protagonist P answers and 'This is Mary-san, I'm in the junkyard.' 'Wha?' and then it hangs up. Later on the phone rings again, P answers, 'This is Mary-san, I'm at [some train station in the city]' and then hangs up. The calls keep coming, and eventually P notices that Mary-san is getting closer to P's house/apartment. It keeps building until finally 'This is Mary-san, I'm right outside your house'. P screams and rips the phone out of the wall and collapses. Then the phone... rings again. P picks up the receiver.. 'Hello?' 'This is Mary-san, I'm right behind you now'. What happens after that varies as well (P dies, P gets stabbed but may survive, etc), but they all have 'This is Mary-san, now I'm right behind you' or 'I'm right behind you now'.

Once you know all that then this makes a lot more sense, like why she always says 'This is Mary-san, now...'
Thank you for explaining. That’s actually kinda spooky. 🫣

must agree, thank You for explaining :D I didn't know any of that as well :D

well, i don't think it was ever explicitly stated in the original story that anything bad happened to the girl? maybe Mary-san just wanted to see her owner again.

Dex-chan lover
After reading this, people will die. Either from cuteness or to the real Mary-san thinking she's like in this manga.

Dex-chan lover
Good and cute 4-koma, but it's not always original and sometimes repeats itself. It feels like it's looping sometimes, and some of the ideas are so good they're worth revisiting, but the author doesn't go back to those ideas.

Dex-chan lover
I'm reading that kowabana page linked in the description and had a little chuckle at this comment on how to deal with Mary-san:
"Before she gets behind you, get behind her."

Is this actually possible? :lul:

Users who are viewing this thread