Merge "Shoujo Ai" tag with "Yuri" :planned:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can just use romance tag for romance and other tags for something else to tell reader what scenes to expect in specific work. Dynasty have good meaningful tags, you can look there how it should be done.
But good point about other languages. Although i prefer yuri, changing it to genre and language-neutral "GL" would be fair considering content isn't Japanese-only. Also i'm not fan of term yaoi (translation isn't something nice at least, etc). Neutral "BL" would be better IMHO.
Anyway there's no reason for using broken "terms" of shoujo/shounen ai.

@redsh
Dynasty have good meaningful tags, you can look there how it should be done.
Tag bloat is real, yet, somehow someway, they have works that have no tags since none fit.
Their logic for tagging is also... questionable.

@GoggledAnon
I want to ask then why isn't there a suggestion for merging shounen-ai with yaoi, keeping dubious meanings and origins aside why hasn't the same reasoning been used to merge these two tags?
I personally can't read yaoi works but have read a lot of shounen-ai so I think the mods are doing their jobs right by separating the two. I can't lie I'm much more tolerant with girl on girl so if I ever want to see some lesbian action I just search with both tags selected. But never in my life will I search with yaoi included so I think there has to be some merit in the separation of the two and thus following this reasoning there must be some merit to separating the same for girl on girl.
Since I think most people in this thread are actually fine with both shoujo-ai and yuri so that's why they are for the merging of the two, but for the people who aren't alright with both I think we should try to look at it from their point of view( by drawing a parallel to yaoi and shounen-ai)

I want to ask then why isn't there a suggestion for merging shounen-ai with yaoi
There was such plan actually.
1. shoujo/shounen-ai aren't a valid terms even. By missing the object/subject order you say instead of "love between shoujos/shounens" like a "love towards shoujo/shounen". Who is a young people likely not ready for romantic relationship yet. So both reads as pedo actually. No such terms exist in Japan. They probably invented by Japanese language haters.
2. The meanings of yuri and yaoi usually also fucked up for some reason. They aren't exactly your terms for lesbian/gay action but a specific literature/art genres. While yuri is a genre primarily about emotional/psychological aspects of relationship without concrete target demographic (originally it's a shoujo genre if you look at classics like Utena etc.), yaoi is typically a female-oriented fetishy genre (but you can find at least some BL works not so fetishy but more sweet and emotional labeled as yaoi too, i don't know is it correct in Japanese meaning). Wikipedia:
As a genre, yuri does not inherently target a single gender demographic, unlike its male homoerotic counterparts yaoi (marketed towards a female audience) and gay manga (marketed towards a gay male audience). Although yuri originated as a genre targeted towards a female audience, yuri works have been produced that target a male audience, as in manga from Comic Yuri Hime's male-targeted sister magazine Comic Yuri Hime S.
3. If you don't want extreme gay action, you just can ignore combination of BL+r18/nsfw etc. Which is much simpler and straightforward way than using (more than questionable) terms of "shounen ai" etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread