The need for a transgender tag

Dex-chan lover
I'm certain that this may have been suggested before, but given:

• that we have two known and recent instances of MD uploads with characters who are, either explicitly shown/stated in the manga or clarified off-site by the author, transmasc or transfem (respectively, in the two links above)
  • the existence of other works such as "Boys Run The Riot" having openly and explicitly transgender lead characters but are forced to be tagged "crossdressing"
  • the social media front trying to be more LGBT-inclusive

it's high time for there to be a transgender tag as an upload tag option.

And if it cannot be done because "the rules" state that it cannot just be one chapter (which disqualifies myriad oneshots from being appropriately tagged), then the rules need to be amended as well so to better clarify.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
I kind of agree but I also think people will start tagging anything with a gender nonconforming character as a 'trans' work. I've seen
  • okama
  • big sister archetype (male, often found in BL and otome)
  • regular traps
  • futas/impossible genital configurations
  • literally-does-not-have-a-gender because it's an alien or a ghost or something
  • guys and girls who briefly struggle against the stereotypes assigned to their sex and maybe cross-dress to get around that (Haruhi OHSHC and Yuka Blue Period)
  • obviously male/female but everyone insists they're trans anyway (Kino)

etc. characters all be tossed under the 'transgender' label which doesn't work.

What would be the qualifiers for the trans tag? For me a character shouldn't be considered trans unless they're on hormones or actively trying to live as the opposite sex and it isn't for the sake of a gag, e.g. Hibari-kun. Otherwise it's just going to cause trouble and make people's eyes twitch.

Users who are viewing this thread