Migi & Dali

I read the first volume already.
So many Sakamoto's references.
What make difference is it has creepy and mysterious vibes. But, uh, the tag says it's comedy.
Not really funny at all, though. Or is it dark comedy?
But this is really make me curious, because I don't know where this story will go.

Group Leader
Aaa from Sakamoto's author... No wonder I feel Hinamatsuri vibe ? (Yeah, I know fosho it's not from Hinamatsuri's author, just the level of... something-something is on or even more than Hinamatsuri)

Group Leader
Just curious as someone who studies Japanese and wants to know more, why is "Dali" the translation here? I know when romanizing R's and L's can become muddied, but wouldn't "Dari" be the correct use, since their names are clearly a play on "Right and Left" (Migi and (hi)Dari)? Is there something in the way the author writes it that makes his name romanized to an L, or is that just kinda a translation preference to make it sound more like a "real name" or whatever?

Double-page supporter
@gomichandesu The author has their preferred transliteration on the cover, so that's that.

In the hypothetical situation where this does not exist, the "technically correct" pronunciation is indeed "Dari," with that ambiguous Japanese "ri," but katakana transliterations of foreign words are always just approximations, so any competent translator would use their best judgment. A translator would be very justified to interpret the name ダリ in a surrealist manga as a reference to Salvador Dali, and translates accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread