Mijuku na Futari de Gozaimasu ga - Vol. 5 Ch. 39 - Insensitive Husband

Group Leader
@FlyingThunder it's normal in Japan for the wife to control the household budget. As they are newlyweds and quite young, it's probably a very hard time for their pockets. Even a big bag of candy can break a budget in times like that.

Also, a marriage ceremony is a good way to earn money for their first house and, as they didn't do it, it's probably even tighter for them.

Dex-chan lover
@andrescutieri
Also, a marriage ceremony is a good way to earn money for their first house and, as they didn't do it, it's probably even tighter for them.

HOW? How could a marriage ceremony is a good way to earn money? I never hear people could earn money for wedding ceremony.

Sure there are some guests who gives money as a gift but usually the gift money won't cover the cost of marriage ceremony. Organizing marriage ceremony is a huge industry because the cost to held one is quite expensive.

I read some news articles there're some people who want to hold a marriage ceremony but the guests will be the one who pay the cost. Sure enough not much people want to be the guest and they canceled the plan for marriage ceremony because it's uncommon for guests to pay the cost.

Ah.. a classic random people who doesn't know the situation and ignorantly say whatever they want..

Good thing Sumika wasn't really bothered and even angry to that 'friend' but I have seen a lot of people who have a mess life just because random people say some stuff like that and take that words as a matter of fact

Dex-chan lover
@andrescutieri

Holding a bigass ceremony costs a lot more money than the gifts you gain, its an absolutely huge waste of money for like 12 hours of "happiness", not everyone wants it

Group Leader
@Freestyle @Kllick

In Japan, you don't bring gifts, instead you bring goshugi, pristine new bills in a beautiful envelope, starting at around ¥30.000 if you aren't close to the couple. The wedding ceremony itself is closed, only the family can attend, and the guests arrive at the reception. Non-religious youngsters usually bundle both things in one single event, signing the papers and holding the reception in a hotel hall or such place. It's not so expensive, and the money you get can alleviate a lot of the expenses. There is also a lot of "cutting corners" to tighten the budget: ask a friend with a good smartphone or semi-professional camera to take your photographs, print postcards online, use the local community center to hold the reception... also, those kind of receptions are very simple, just food, drinks and lots and lots of speeches. You don't dance in a Japanese wedding, so there is no cost with DJ's, sound system, party lights and so on. Also, there is no "plus one", if your name isn't in the invitation, you aren't invited. One can do ok with a moderate wedding just for friends and family.

Also, like in the US, it's traditionally the groom's parents who foot most of the bill. That's how many of the fights between the bride and her mother-in-law begin... So it's possible to get some money out of it. As many rented apartments in Japan come with furniture and appliances included, there is not so many things to buy to live a good newlywed life.

Dex-chan lover
@andrescutieri Very interesting. Thanks for the information.

I read that unmarried people could gives about ¥30.000. Is it a lot? What about guest who haven't work? Are they still required to give goshugi or are they won't be invited?

Reading this, I think ¥30.000 alone is quite a lot. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/country/japan

Compared to my country where guests usually gives around $1 to $10. Yeah, my country has one of the cheapest living cost in the world. That's also why the internet connection is suck compared to countries with high living cost like Japan.

Group Leader
@Kllick it would be around US$ 300.00, so it's a sizable sum for a single person, but if you are invited with a good head start (like 6 months) an achievable amount. It would be akin to buying a washing machine or a refrigerator for the couple, for each guest.

Wow, your country sounds really cheap to live in! Japan is very expensive to live in, but most of it comes from the cost of land and food. Appliances, transport and electric bills are relatively cheap, but the country is the size of a snow pea, the small territory disputed as habitation and farming space and people living in packed cities yet yearning for fresh, vegetable-rich food. That's a sure way to increase exponentially the cost of living.

Dex-chan lover
@andrescutieri In my country the initial price of washing machine and refrigerator is around $100. The food expenses per day is around $3. In fact the cost of junk food like burger or pizza is damn expensive so people preferred vegetables or fish which are cheaper.

Well, with the amount of money gifted by wedding guests in my country, at most it will only cover the wedding cost and thus why I'm at disbelief for making money by holding wedding in my first comment.

Also people in my country preferred quantity over quality of guests due to old tradition. Some people, not all, think that wedding is an event to be a way of showing social status (disgusting) so the more guests attended the wedding the better. Of course the food expenses is great and that's how some people showing their richness because the money received by guests rarely cover the wedding cost.

"Hey, I'm burning lots of money for this wedding, I'm rich you know"

The younger generation preferred a more private wedding, but sometimes they can't refuse their parents influence to make the event as big a possible. Unfortunately, this kind of thinking was why some couples need to end their relationship because the groom parents can't cover the cost of holding expensive wedding asked by the bride parents.
Eww.

And some people even goes as far as to borrow money. Sometimes they'll sell their house. It's uncommon but it really happens. And thus the newlyweds started their new day covered lots of debt.

My country has low rank in Programme for International Student Assessment. We lack basic education in literacy and numeracy, including financial education. It's really sad...

Aggregator gang
@Kllick maan you said it really well, it's pretty much the same here in my country
wedding ceremonies are treated as if they're an event to show 'hey we're a capable family' or some sort
so sad it is

Users who are viewing this thread