Missing chapters notification to appear at the beginning of a chapter after a jump

Fed-Kun's army
Today someone uploaded the ultimate chapter of Dagashi Kashi, which was only a minor annoyance to notice because it's not a manga where that really matters, but it would have been nice to get that "missing chapters" warning. Could this behavior be changed so that the warning appears at the beginning of a chapter after the missing chapters, instead of "after" or "between", like it does now? It should work about the same and the warnings would appear in the same places and contexts as before, just that if you're opening a new chapter link it would also trigger.

Dex-chan lover
@Naeddyr

Could you be more precise about the context in which you think such a thing desirable? It seems to me that the problem of missing chapters arises in two contexts: [ul]It arises as one proceeds from one chapter to the next; and in that case the inter-chapter warning seems sufficient.
It arises when one moves to a chapter from the Follows list; and in that case I think that the warning could and should be placed on the Follows list itself.[/ul] There was past discussion of having alerts in the Follows list, after multiple series were deliberately spoiled by an occasionally malevolent scanlator.

I continue to think that such a feature would be highly desirable.

Fed-Kun's army
It was when opening a Follows link. But that's not the only way for someone to open up a link like that: you could be logged out, not have the manga actually in your follows for some reason, etc.

My "solution" is to just modify the logic of when to show the warning slightly. Depending on how it's programmed, it might be trivial to implement and should result in the same behavior we see now, just in a more complete way that fills in this specific gap.

Your solution is actually two solutions, and requires coding the Follows list thing, and it still has some gaps (when you're not going from chapter to chapter or using your Follows list). Having the warning at the logical beginning of a chapter would cover like, 99% of all cases I can think of except if someone creates a specific url to link to page 1 directly or something, which would be "??????".

Dex-chan lover
You're not saying how you would actually be lured into opening a chapter that were a spoiler. For example, if the user is not logged-in, then he or she goes to the Title page, from which gaps should be obvious.

One doesn't want to go from the Follows page to a warning if one can just be warned on the Follows page.

The code for inter-chapter warnings is already installed. The savings in development to which you point would now be minor or absent.

Users who are viewing this thread