Mission-chan no Daibouken

Mangab13 years ago, from defunct website. Man, what a shady manga i stumbled upon.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty fukken shit. I skipped a few chapters, so I might've missed what I wanted to see, but virtually at no given point was the MC truly forced to do anything. She has no direct motivation to continue existing, so she has no reason to not just exist to kill that guy that's forcing her with random labor.
Other than that, the story is just all over the place. Stuff just happen. Text and angst appear and go.

Aggregator gang
@Solipsist but what does she do after that? The guy's superior will just install someone else into the position. We're not even sure you can die in this world. And even if she did kill him, she would have precisely no purpose anymore.

Living that nightmare existence for the promise of vapid, meaningless rewards looks bleak here. But it's a strong commentary on the materialism that pervades Western society. You pretend like you want the reward so that you can pretend like you want to do your job.

Once that fails, you lose purpose, lose humanity. She bombs a school at the behest of some faceless entity with no reason given. The point isn't that people are forcing her to do things she doesn't want to do. It's that she can't find it in herself to not want anything.

Aggregator gang
I assume this work is one of the earliest in Imitation Crystal's career, the fact he (apparently) didn't bother keeping the thing hosted says something about the quality of the work. Still it was an interesting setting, too bad it ends so abruptly.

Dex-chan lover
@Aretheus
I honestly feel like any form of lesson or narrative is lost once she went ahead and killed herself. After that, I cannot believe anything could possibly guide or force her hand.
How she acts in death is precisely how people act in life, because they try to maintain the status quo. I find no sensibility in this thing.

Aggregator gang
@Solipsist But that's the point. She failed. This manga is about exploring this character trapped in literal hell. She found life after death, and nothing could be more tragic.

What she really wanted was a Buddhist enlightenment. Cuz that's what Buddhism says; existence is torment. All life, whether it knows it or not is striving towards Nirvana. But most people will remain trapped in the cycle of reincarnation. "Knowledge arose in me, and insight: my freedom is certain, this is my last birth, now there is no rebirth."

I'm not actually Buddhist btw, but out of all the religions, it is the one I'd say makes the most sense.

Dex-chan lover
@Aretheus
All I have left to say, is that if you took so much from this thing, good for you.
I also can't take what you wrote, and apply it to what I read. To me, it all boiled down to what seems to be nothing but an artistic mess, contrived out of angst, and placed within a messy composition that went on for too long for every tiny emotion it tried to convey.
o7.

Fed-Kun's army
Well, that was weird.
I'll have to agree with @Solipsist, yes it tries to say something in an 'artistic' way, but in the end, it's just a mess, too many ideas at the same time, too many weird things going on, and nothing makes any sense.
If the goal is to show chaos, it manages to do it, but not in a confusing way, in a boring one.

I've been through depression multiple times in my life, that's nothing like this., well, it's kind off, but it's not that messy (in the deorganized sense).

IMITATION CRYSTAL BACK WITH ANOTHER BANGER

BIG UPS 10/10 IMITATION CRYSTAL HAS SOLVED THE ISEKAI GENRE. IN 2006. honestly that isn't even that weird considering how weird most Imitation Crystal works are, baseline.

Not joking about the isekai thing though. This is the perfect isekai.

That's the end of my review. Now for the personal attacks thoughts section. Probably spoilers? Seriously though if you're reading this instead of the manga go read the manga. Your impression of the first 5-10 pages will be far more useful than this.

Those who consider it messy and chaotic, that's the point. It's not supposed to be "easy" (for lack of a better term) to read the same way a normal manga page would be laid out and cut into panels. The discomfort you are feeling is intentional. Honestly, I was planning to write out a bunch of bullshit here about what this manga's REALLY about and mental issues and expressions of utter despair, but there's really no point. If this manga didn't impact you in a meaningful way from its design choices then there's no point reading it. Like, shouts to the red shade used on Mission's eyes/hair in the early chapters. I'll be seeing that in my nightmares. If something like that, or the little soliloquies our girl does whenever she uses her pal Reason don't hit you right in that spot you didn't know you had but boy, you sure know you have now!, then this is mostly going to be an academic exercise for you as a reader. I swear I'm not gatekeeping, this work really doesn't have enough coherence or actual, like, narrative structure beyond the chapter (Mission's workday). It's in the emotional impact, and that is unfortunately entirely dependent on the reader. I'm minimizing the actual good design choices that I like a lot (shouts to that red), but it feels a bit awkward to state that they're good, when I find them good because they're intentionally bad. Or, like, bad in that they're meant to be displeasing.

If I had to guess why Imitation Crystal let this one sort of die by itself, my completely unfounded guess would be that this was done at a really mentally dark time in their life and it's probably unpleasant to experience thanks to the power of our friend and ally, associative memory. If there's any songs you can't listen to again for awkward reasons, it's a similar feeling. It's important to rationalize your sins.

Yeah, no…

I thank the random-button for leading me here, but no.

It breaks conventions, but that is not always a good thing. The rapidly changing art media are most certainly not helped by the upscaling and that sweet sweet JPEG c r u n c h. It's not cruddy enough to be called artistic choice, but just feels like weird limitations and bad compression settings during saving. Especially since in some chapter titles the compression artifacts have been used to great effect.

My assumption was that this was just the creator trying to find their favourite medium to work with. Be it aqua-colours, a pencil-sketch like appearance or clean and crisp line-work with defined hatching and texturing. Perhaps a break from the thick-lined artwork they usually seem to use. From what I have read, it is a rather early work of theirs, so take that as you will.

Do not take away from this comment, that I deem this an irreparable mess not worth reading. It's good. I just won't read it again.

IMITATION CRYSTAL BACK WITH ANOTHER BANGER

BIG UPS 10/10 IMITATION CRYSTAL HAS SOLVED THE ISEKAI GENRE. IN 2006. honestly that isn't even that weird considering how weird most Imitation Crystal works are, baseline.

Not joking about the isekai thing though. This is the perfect isekai.

That's the end of my review. Now for the personal attacks thoughts section. Probably spoilers? Seriously though if you're reading this instead of the manga go read the manga. Your impression of the first 5-10 pages will be far more useful than this.

Those who consider it messy and chaotic, that's the point. It's not supposed to be "easy" (for lack of a better term) to read the same way a normal manga page would be laid out and cut into panels. The discomfort you are feeling is intentional. Honestly, I was planning to write out a bunch of bullshit here about what this manga's REALLY about and mental issues and expressions of utter despair, but there's really no point. If this manga didn't impact you in a meaningful way from its design choices then there's no point reading it. Like, shouts to the red shade used on Mission's eyes/hair in the early chapters. I'll be seeing that in my nightmares. If something like that, or the little soliloquies our girl does whenever she uses her pal Reason don't hit you right in that spot you didn't know you had but boy, you sure know you have now!, then this is mostly going to be an academic exercise for you as a reader. I swear I'm not gatekeeping, this work really doesn't have enough coherence or actual, like, narrative structure beyond the chapter (Mission's workday). It's in the emotional impact, and that is unfortunately entirely dependent on the reader. I'm minimizing the actual good design choices that I like a lot (shouts to that red), but it feels a bit awkward to state that they're good, when I find them good because they're intentionally bad. Or, like, bad in that they're meant to be displeasing.

If I had to guess why Imitation Crystal let this one sort of die by itself, my completely unfounded guess would be that this was done at a really mentally dark time in their life and it's probably unpleasant to experience thanks to the power of our friend and ally, associative memory. If there's any songs you can't listen to again for awkward reasons, it's a similar feeling. It's important to rationalize your sins.
My assumption is that it did not die, more like the point has been made and it simply does not overstay its welcome with more chapters. If it did, it would become more about Mission-chan as a character and her journey, soiling the intent this manga is made for. Grow not attached to the literal form, but the attempt to convey viseral emotions and feelings through the author's medium of choice instead.

I enjoyed this art.

Users who are viewing this thread