Monster ga Afureru Sekai ni Natta Node, Suki ni Ikitai to Omoimasu - Ch. 27 - Maximum

Dex-chan lover
Ooh it's been a while. Thanks for continuing this.
yK1CdMA.png

Om nom nom. Crunchy!

Double-page supporter
I still cringe every time I see Saya's dog called "Blackie" instead of Kuro.

What a horrible translation, but it's better than nothing.
That's exactly what I'd do if I was still localizing.

It conveys the meaning more accurately to an English-speaking audience.

Naming a black dog "Black" isn't very original, and that's conveyed by the choice of localized name.

Just because you understand that they gave the dog a low effort name based on it's color doesn't mean someone who's never read manga before will.

Remember, fan scans only have to appeal to you, a fan. Official localizations are supposed to allow your mom to pick up, read, and enjoy it.

There's a reason official volumes all have to explain the way to read them like they're telling a toddler, they (usually) aren't targeted towards people who are really into manga.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That's exactly what I'd do if I was still localizing.

It conveys the meaning more accurately to an English-speaking audience.

Naming a black dog "Black" isn't very original, and that's conveyed by the choice of localized name.

Just because you understand that they gave the dog a low effort name based on it's color doesn't mean someone who's never read manga before will.

Remember, fan scans only have to appeal to you, a fan. Official localizations are supposed to allow your mom to pick up, read, and enjoy it.

There's a reason official volumes all have to explain the way to read them like they're telling a toddler, they (usually) aren't targeted towards people who are really into manga.
You're acting like the dog's name is the only thing I have a problem with localizing.

The main problem I have with official translations are how they simplify or even change dialogue from the original source. Fan translations usually try to keep the original dialogue as much as possible, while having TL notes to further give context when needed. Official translations would rather completely change the dialogue than some notes on the side giving explanations or context. Kuro could've had a TL note to the side or and asterisk explaining the Kuro means "black" in Japanese.

And given how popular anime and manga are these days, you would think many readers would be knowledgeable enough to not be treated like toddlers.

Double-page supporter
You're acting like the dog's name is the only thing I have a problem with localizing.
It's all you mentioned.

Though some notable localizations have taken things too far into removing cultural aspects of Japan, I think drawing the line before the name of a pet who's name means nothing is a bit too far the other way.
Fan translations usually try to keep the original dialogue as much as possible, while having TL notes to further give context when needed.

Yes, that's because they are fan translations who strive for source accuracy over the "best" reading experience for those who just want to read.

Kuro could've had a TL note to the side or and asterisk explaining the Kuro means "black" in Japanese.
lol, literally

"all according to keikaku"

(keikaku means plan)

Either way, your perspective is one that values the japanese language, which is not the goal of localization, which is to attempt to remove the language barrier.

Explanations are in quite a few official translations, usually to help people get past the cultural barrier by explaining holidays, monuments, geography, etc.

And given how popular anime and manga are these days, you would think many readers would be knowledgeable enough to not be treated like toddlers.
Anime has had it's mass-market recognition for a while, but manga is new to the game, sales didn't really pick up till ~2020, it was initially hard to sell to most demographics due to how the western graphic novel market has primarily been for children.

Square isn't trying to sell manga to people like me with thousands of series' on reading lists and knowledge of Japanese cultural elements, they are trying to get new readers.

When I did light novel localization, the rule of thumb was to change it or explain it if it would improve your mom's reading experience, she shouldn't need wikipedia to read a book.

Dex-chan lover
It's all you mentioned.
I didn't think simply giving one example of something that I didn't like would get me into this. But here we are. I'll make sure to create long paragraphs and lists, to make sure people know that I do not only have one thing that I have a problem with, next time.
Yes, that's because they are fan translations who strive for source accuracy over the "best" reading experience for those who just want to read.
What is "best" is relative. I do not think changing dialogue to the point where it almost changes characters is "best".

Here's an example:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/93098b40-f34c-4f64-8599-689418ea536c/46
lol, literally

"all according to keikaku"

(keikaku means plan)

Either way, your perspective is one that values the japanese language, which is not the goal of localization, which is to attempt to remove the language barrier.
I can understand when you have entire paragraphs having to explain cultural context to readers, but translating one word can be simply a three word sentence. You did it yourself: "keikaku means plan" or "keikaku=plan"

And if you are going to have one-liners that are an integral to the person's character, why would you change or remove it? See example above.
Anime has had it's mass-market recognition for a while, but manga is new to the game, sales didn't really pick up till ~2020, it was initially hard to sell to most demographics due to how the western graphic novel market has primarily been for children.

Square isn't trying to sell manga to people like me with thousands of series' on reading lists and knowledge of Japanese cultural elements, they are trying to get new readers.

When I did light novel localization, the rule of thumb was to change it or explain it if it would improve your mom's reading experience, she shouldn't need wikipedia to read a book.
So, because publishers are trying to get new readers, they purposely water down/change the dialogue to cater to them?

And who ever said that you needed wikipedia to read a book? I just prefer localizations keep things like certain things like "onii-chan" and "sempai", rather than translating them into "older brother" and "elder student".

You can argue that such translations are best for them, but I prefer something that does not take you out of the immersion. To each their own.

Double-page supporter
What is "best" is relative. I do not think changing dialogue to the point where it almost changes characters is "best".

Here's an example:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/93098b40-f34c-4f64-8599-689418ea536c/46
I agree 100%, that's bad localization because they didn't convey the tone well.

And if you are going to have one-liners that are an integral to the person's character, why would you change or remove it?
Would you prefer it just be left in Japanese? Go read the source if you are that concerned about keeping the lines exactly the same

You did it yourself: "keikaku means plan" or "keikaku=plan"

Why bother reading a translation if you don't want things translated?

If your goal isn't the most enjoyable reading experience but rather solely source accuracy, passion and an hour a day will get you to an okay reading level very quickly so long as you have a decent memory, there's plenty of guides.

And you can skip all the annoying listening and speaking parts I still am slow at after almost 10 years due to spending very limited time actually speaking conversationally.

I can give some recommendations of materials I wish I had when I learned.

I just prefer localizations keep things like certain things like "onii-chan" and "sempai", rather than translating them into "older brother" and "elder student".

I strongly prefer honorifics, but they really aren't necessary.

"onii" can easily be changed to "bro" or just removed as English is more often written without the subject than Japanese is.

Senpai can usually be removed, but is often used exclamatorily so you gotta replace it based on context.

I do want to make clear that my goal was to convey that localization is difficult in a different way than fan translation is, and they have much different goals.

As someone who started by doing fan translations of light novels, my goal was to make something that me and other light novel fans would enjoy, at the time it was a lot more niche than it is now, so most LN readers were pretty diehard japan media nerds, so it was definitely a "make the text readable in English" type of deal, terms without direct translations were left alone.

Moving to localization changed that to making something that any fantasy fans would enjoy. Instead of making Japanese text readable in English, I had to make it into actual English text, the goal is to have it in a bookstore on the same shelf as other fantasy series', it should have the same knowledge barrier to entry so honorifics get cut.

A dedicated fan/group will usually be more enjoyable for me than anything official due to their love and lack of corporate restraints, and honestly piracy of translations are easier than of the raws...

I still have an issue with certain large groups who translate series on here and can't even keep names consistent for 2 chapters, they need more love!

Anyways, I spent a good while formulating this comment lol.
Sorry that it's a big long wall of text, but to be fair-- I worked on novels, not manga.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread