Monster ga Afureru Sekai ni Natta Node, Suki ni Ikitai to Omoimasu - Ch. 27 - Maximum

Dex-chan lover
Would you prefer it just be left in Japanese? Go read the source if you are that concerned about keeping the lines exactly the same
People wouldn't be here in a fan translation site, if they could read the original Japanese text in the first place.
If your goal isn't the most enjoyable reading experience but rather solely source accuracy, passion and an hour a day will get you to an okay reading level very quickly so long as you have a decent memory, there's plenty of guides.
My goal is to have the most enjoyable reading experience by reading something that is as close to the original source as possible, without drastically changing or killing the original tone and context of the source. While I do understand that translations can never be one-to-one, I do prefer translations to be as faithful to the source as possible.

And I read manga to relax and forget about real life. If I actually had the time and wanted to go back to school, I would actually go back to school.
I strongly prefer honorifics, but they really aren't necessary.

"onii" can easily be changed to "bro" or just removed as English is more often written without the subject than Japanese is.

Senpai can usually be removed, but is often used exclamatorily so you gotta replace it based on context.
Honorifics aren't necessary until they become a major plot point and a source of development.

Japanese make a big deal of referring to people by their given names, rather than family names. To call someone by their given name signifies their relationship has gotten close enough where they're almost like family.

This is why romantic scenes where a couple finally starts calling each other by their given names are significant. To have a couple spend the entire story calling each other sempai or by their family names, to suddenly say their given names are a huge game changer and are shown in depth. Such scenes simply would not work, if they have been calling each other by their given names the entire time.

Why would people make such a big deal of calling each other their given names when they have been calling each other that the whole time?
I do want to make clear that my goal was to convey that localization is difficult in a different way than fan translation is, and they have much different goals.

As someone who started by doing fan translations of light novels, my goal was to make something that me and other light novel fans would enjoy, at the time it was a lot more niche than it is now, so most LN readers were pretty diehard japan media nerds, so it was definitely a "make the text readable in English" type of deal, terms without direct translations were left alone.
I get it. Just because something is localized, doesn't mean the translation is bad. Translators work hard to make things enjoyable to as many people as possible.

What I should have said was "I hate simplified and dumbed down for the masses translations", instead.

Dex-chan lover
Here I am crazed that they are now dealing with building golems that can sense and eat people, expecting to see other peoples reaction and it just be about translation discussions.

I’m not mad just disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread