Monster - Vol. 18 Ch. 162 - The Real Monster

Aggregator gang
Damn ! What were their names? Why did the mom choose one kid? And did Johan escape again?

Dex-chan lover
And so. Here we are. The end. Urasawa makes endings that just give me this feeling. I don't know what to name it but this story was great.

oh god finally... the good experience has ended and with a good afterwords heh heh. Ending on a scene like that makes me truly wish to know what Johan's thinking after all this... and what he'll do, will he find the answer? I have a small hope that Johan, Nina and dr. Tenma can overcome it together

Fed-Kun's army
so i went to google and got some conclusions for this, ending is an open one, and these are the mysteries with some speculated answers:
is johan alive or dead? no one knows, maybe hes alive and got out of the hospital again, maybe hes dead, and if hes dead, was it because tenma couldnt save him cuz the condition was poor, the wound was so severe, or did he not save him on purpose(quite unlikely as tenma still believes that all lives are equal and couldnt shoot johan to begin with)? some argue that cuz the room johan was in was lacking in security guards and life support system even tho he was such an important character who was behind all the murders, all of this is inside tenma's head cuz he couldnt save johan the 2nd time, but there was still signs of someone lying on the bed, which if wasnt johan would be kinda weird.
what is his and his sister's name? we just dont know :(
why did the mother dressed them up? probably cuz she was experimented on and she wanted to disguise them to escape or something
who was the unwanted one? dunno
in the end, the only thing i can think of is urasawa is such a wonderful mangaka

Dex-chan lover
Page 15 scared the shit out of me.

Do I really have to say that this manga is a masterpiece ? Seriously it was juste an incredible journey, with many interessant characters and everytime, they were humans. I think that the best point of this manga is how characters are written. Each of them has qualities and flaws and are not juste one emotion or something like that (except for Robertorminator). Well I hope y'all fellow readers liked this manga too, have a great day/night !

No matter what she'll do, Eva will always belong to the streets...

This manga stayed in my mind for awhile and I love every characters (except maybe Roberto but he had done his part).
I think the point of the story is love and compassion. And everyone is worth redemption and no one is completely evil, even Johan himself. A lot of amazing people from the story came from redemption, and they had failed and sinned but from forgiveness they are able to come back to live.
Johan is such a complex character. At first I was wondering if he is completely pure evil but through out the end, it just showed that he is created to be this way. Johan character is sadness, he was trying to prove his view of nihilism and nothing is mattered in this world. And Tenma is his anti, the one who was able to shattered that view. I think Johan was desperately want to be proven wrong. I want to believe Johan is worth redemption as well, and he is able to live well after his perfect suicide failed.

Monster is honestly one the most amazing underrated pieces of fiction I have ever read. Johan as a villain is absolutely perfect. Tenma is an absolute mad lad is all imma say. Definitely worth the journey and I’m happy I was able to experience it. Monster will forever be remembered in my book.

Dex-chan lover
10/10 peak fiction

Althought that open ending leaves a bad aftertaste, generally I'm satisfied with how the story turned out.
Johan is not an absolute evil, not a naturall bad, he was shaped to be one (or maybe 50% naturall evil, normal people can't become what he has became)

Also all the characters are likeable and lively (except for Roberto lol)

But there's soo many unanswered question.

Thanks to mangascreener team
And my fellow readers.
Might as well checkout h out the 20th century boy too

Aggregator gang
This manga creeping me out right till the very end...

Glad I finally managed to finish this though, read it years ago and I remember getting creeped out by johan so much that I dropped this back then lol. So when I read this again now I was honestly just waiting for johan to die since the very first chapter but that ending..boy I'm scared. But man this was just a work of art, with all the moments of terror/fear/suspense/hope and twists I didn't see coming.

And there were so many characters who only appeared for a couple chapters who I quickly got attached to, and all the deaths were so heartbreaking that my mood perpetually felt like roy saying it's raining :")

Dex-chan lover
I read this manga 3 years ago and loved it at first, but started hating it by the end. I read it too far apart so it kinda felt like things came out of nowhere (especially the last small town arc). I'm so glad I reread this in 3 days bc it all fit so well this time and I got read one of the best stories I think I've ever experienced.

I think there are two themes to this story: the power of fear, and whether all lives have value. The small town arc does a fantastic job of showing how Tenma and Johan view both of these questions and wraps up both of them beautifully. Thank you Naoki Urasawa for an amazing experience!

Users who are viewing this thread