Mujina into the Deep - Vol. 2 Ch. 3.1 - Our Being

Dex-chan lover
Ubume was "Main" in the past, as in "Main Character".

Takayan songs really hit hard.

Dex-chan lover
Travis-Touchdown-Anime.jpg

Travis is that you.....:meguupog:

Dex-chan lover
Asano is so good at portraying the desperation, the moments of giving in to all too human urges, and the bad roads it can lead down. The faces are so expressive, so much conveyed just from looks. Damn good chapter.

Fed-Kun's army
While I can see why Main's story might be interpreted as that of a young Ubume, this seems to be contradicted by an actual flashback/nightmare in the last pages of chapter 1.3. There, Ubume is in shock at the sight of Tanuki's massacre, dressed in a high school uniform (so about Main's age), and her facial features are exactly the same as in the present.

We also know Ubume is over 30 at this point, and yet Main's rights card expires on 2027, while Juno, a 15-year-old, has a rights card that expires on 2026 (seen in chapter 1.1). This would seem to argue against their stories taking place on different timelines, unless the government issues rights cards with wildly different expiry dates for no reason, so it's easier to conclude Main is just a new character. Now, that might be misdirection or retconning on the author's part, but it seems highly unlikely; the exact same hair highlights do throw me off, though.

I'm always struck by how topical Asano's choice of subject matter in this manga is, in a ripped-from-the-headlines kind of way. We had the Megiddos arc just as the real life Johnny's saga was unfolding, and what do you know, now that the Japanese government is cracking down on host clubs because female customers are resorting to prostitution to pay their exorbitant charges, there is a host club/enjo kosai storyline.

This seems to be similar to Dededede, in which (as per his interviews) the ending was not determined in advance and he's just making it up as he goes along. I for one am all for it if it means more insights into the rot at the core of modern Japan.

As always, thanks to the team for their excellent work and my condolences to BaganLee.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
While I can see why Main's story might be interpreted as that of a young Ubume, this seems to be contradicted by an actual flashback/nightmare in the last pages of chapter 1.3. There, Ubume is in shock at the sight of Tanuki's massacre, dressed in a high school uniform (so about Main's age), and her facial features are exactly the same as in the present. Now, that might be misdirection or retconning on the author's part, but it seems highly unlikely.

I'm always struck by how topical Asano's choice of subject matter in this manga is, in a ripped-from-the-headlines kind of way. We had the Megiddos arc just as the real life Johnny's saga was unfolding, and what do you know, now that the Japanese government is cracking down on host clubs because female customers are resorting to prostitution to pay their exorbitant charges, there is a host club/enjo kosai storyline.

This seems to be similar to Dededede, in which (as per his interviews) the ending was not determined in advance and he's just making it up as he goes along. I for one am all for it if it means more insights into the rot at the core of modern Japan.

As always, thanks to the team for their excellent work and my condolences to BaganLee.
W lore master

Fed-Kun's army
Ubume was "Main" in the past, as in "Main Character".
The character's name is a transliteration of the English "mine", as in the bomb that blows up when you step on it. Her name is a pun on Jirai-Kei ("the landmine type"), a japanese girl subculture associated with self-harm, drug abuse, illegal sex work and the fashion sense that informs Main's clothes and makeup.

Aggregator gang
Terumi may not admit it, but he really cares for Juno’s wellbeing. Making sure she earns her money the right way instead of hitting the streets with youth and cuteness as their sole merchandise to make a living.

To BaganLee, my condolences in this difficult time. Rest plenty, eat something even if you don’t feel hungry, surround yourself with people who love you and take it easy if needed.

Dex-chan lover
Anyone know what was in it for the rights-buying guy? Is it a given that he thinks the value of rights will actually go up, not down?

Fed-Kun's army
Anyone know what was in it for the rights-buying guy? Is it a given that he thinks the value of rights will actually go up, not down?
That guy's "sell while the price is high" spiel has the credibility of a crypto-bro telling you to buy the dip. He is full of shit, doesn't believe any of it and is just sweet talking an easy mark into selling her rights so he can make a killing. Scum indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread