Murabito Desu ga Nani ka? - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Goblin Raid

"There isn't a need for that" "Can't I just protect you?"
Sure, that worked out reeeaaall well for the MC the last two times he was alive.

jak

Contributor
I thought the evil sage guy was their childhood friend as well.

@Afiaki
Wasn't his first life on Earth, and in the second he died by the hand of Sage?
@jak
I'm a bit confused about why we haven't seen him. Maybe he joined later when Hero begins her training? He could still be potential childhood friend but from 12/13years+. Not from a very young age and the same village.

jak

Contributor
@Brize

it did show him in the second timeline being sworn in as Sage while she became Hero, but it made it seem like the guy was from their village as well.

@Brize,
In Chapter 1 the dragon exclaims they had already met in a previous life, which implies the MC had been in the world for one life already. So, 2 deaths in this world and 1 on Earth.

Edditit: this is wrong, so, this is wrong. 1 Earth 1 Isecake is what it was

@Afiaki
That's strange. He had the power to revert back time by Reincarnated skill, but could it be used twice? It was never purposely stated how these skills move between reincarnations. It feels like some explaining was simply skipped. I was believing that he loses the skill after reverting time. Maybe the first time he gets back by other skills, like Tutorial, or Timeshift? Each skill can only be chosen once, stated by Goddes, so I'm confused by this.

@Brize,
Yeah, that's just the thing. It's all just a one shot explanation to set up the premise and then it's never mentioned again. Things might have been lost in translation, but it's way too brief to give any proper explanation. This manga has quite a few of those super short explanations which attempt to justify adding random events and skills in the middle of the story.

@Afiaki
2 deaths in the isekai world? im confused. wasnt it one death in japan and one death in the isekai and this is now the third life? i read back chapter 1 and when the dragon read his mind about the memory of his first meeting with the dragon is when the dragon helped cordelia in his first life, was it not?

@inanotherworld101
...Well, here's another reply after several months. I guess my first statement was wrong after all. If I remember, my initial impression about this chapter was:
Oh, so he's already seen the dragon, and now he's meeting in this life.
But that was wrong, this is still that same life. Lesson learned: skim reading a manga you've forgotten about doesn't go so well for fact-checking.

Lol she doesn't know he died because she didn't know who he needed protecting from.

Dex-chan lover
What is better? To be born strong or to overcome your weakness through great effort?

@Kaarme the latter, definitely. to be born with strength is to not know struggle or hardship, to be born weak but overcome it because it is what you desired and you didn't give up is to know struggle and hardship. to know what it means to endure pain and frustration to surpass your weakness and limits, that is what it truly means to be strong.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme @sheepdoge In this kind of world - both. Hardship teaches perseverance and understanding but it takes more than a villager to oppose a demon lord - which brings up to the opening of this story.

@Kaarme @Drifter given how him trying to break the system forces the world to actively try and course correct on him...yea, you're right, but i would argue the him that is the result of his efforts vs the version of the heroine that comes about from him following how fate is suppose to play out is significantly stronger, and given that later his growth spurs the heroine on to grow stronger, albeit in ways different from the original timeline, i'd say this might actually play out far better, and the powers that be are simply panicking because they don't know what the outcome will be any more. though i will admit, this sort of plot element where in the main character is saddled with a "useless job" always bugged me, namely that i think it's weird to force someone to be limited to that as it removes their agency as a person, that's kinda why i like things like konosuba where the cast could actually change their job if they can work hard enough to meet the requirements, they just choose not to for varying reasons (like the main character kazuma finding there's a very large array of practical uses in being the default adventurer class...and also the rest of his party keeps poaching his exp XD)

Dex-chan lover
@sheepdoge I'm alwayst tempted to interpret the stiff character class plot element as criticism toward a stiff social order with little prospects of advancing in life, or, more extremely, the caste system. However, then I remind myself of the truth that I'm reading trash fantasy/isekai and drop such lofty notions. It's just an extra challenge for the MC to beat. Even if it's not an edgelord isekai, such unfair challenges are common. However, it's still splendid compared to those ridiculous fantasy/isekai series where the MC gets the healer class/job and it's declared totally useless.

Anyway, typically those born strong are lacking street smarts, techniques, and knowledge those who had to start from weakness needed to gain. It's very evident in this story as well.

@Kaarme i suppose that's one way to view it, though yea i think most of the time it's simply being used as an obstacle for the protagonist to overcome rather than a criticism toward social norms and the idea that you should just accept your position rather than strive to improve. (i will admit that'd be something interesting to read though, maybe i should take a crack at web comics or web novels XD) i have a strange fondness for series about healers though, i agree it's weird how readily they're dismissed in the story, but i then remember the love hate relationship healers are subject to in mmorpgs. (the healer is always fantastic right up until something goes wrong, then it's the healer's fault. even when it's not)

that is a trend i noticed. i find i like stories where the mc is uber weak and circumvents this because of street smarts, guile, technique and so on more and more, though there is something refreshing about an MC that just beat sticks his way through things and the point of tension stems from other things (looking at you one punch)

Dex-chan lover
@sheepdoge I don't really personally care if the MC is weak or strong in the beginning, as long as the story is otherwise entertaining. However, no matter how you look at it, it's far more challenging to actually write an interesting, captivating story with an MC that's really powerful from the get-go, especially if it's a story where any kind of thrill or excitement is supposed to exist. If the MC is weak in the beginning, all the million established, traditional character development routes are open for the author to exploit. It's also why many stories move the MC to a new place/circumstances when a certain level of strength has been gained, to basically reset the situation, to force the MC to again start from the bottom. In RPG it's basically what's always going on.

Users who are viewing this thread