Mushikaburi-hime - Vol. 2 Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
It's quite amusing how the reason they are wary of that family is not because they think they stole books but because they know they will accidentally ruin all their sales, just through commenting about stuff from the many books they have read.

Dex-chan lover
Eh, still not a fan of mom.

No matter how many stories tell us that neglecting children will force them to grow up, the real world empirical evidence doesn't back up the narrative.

Dex-chan lover
It would be hilarious if the child came from the library uncle lol

@icekatze It was never stated that she neglected him. She got sick, got sent away God knows how long, then when she came back she became stricter. If anything I think she became more hands on to make sure he grows up to be an excellent prince. It's more on tough love than neglect, in my opinion. Plus, that was from the POV of an admittedly spoiled and arrogant child. We don't know the details on how they interacted back then and now.

Power Uploader
That was straight out of The Little Prince: "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Dex-chan lover
Poor prince... Just after he had a lovey dovey moment.. 🤣🤣🤣

Dex-chan lover
@Disguised22
To clarify, I mean "neglecting to give affection."

@CaShper
It was actually. "She became a mother who wouldn't even smile back at the boy."

That's not tough love, and it's certainly not "raising him well." It is important for parents to be firm in setting boundaries, but people learn best through example and repetition. A child who grows up without affection is, in reality, much more likely to suffer from a variety of emotional disorders.

@icekatze Just because she doesn't smile back and is strict, doesn't mean that what she did is not for love. A different form, but love nonetheless. She did what she thought was needed, albeit poorly executed due to lack of explanation. I'm not going to argue that she is faultless, I certainly won't do what she did to my child if I had any. In my perspective, she did that not necessarily to "raise him well", but to raise him as "an excellent prince". That was her end goal, for her child not to be looked down upon. Anyway, I argued because of your statement "she neglected him", but since you already corrected that to "neglected to give affection", then I'm cool with it.

Dex-chan lover
@CaShper
I think the part about her saving the letters shows that she thought she was doing the right thing. What I'm saying is that, as a student of developmental psychology, there's a difference between fairy tale and reality.

The narrative of a person reaching fame and fortune from nothing is hugely popular in fiction (in manga and anime but also in literature in general, from Cinderella to Harry Potter) which is all well and good, but it shouldn't be mistaken for real life. In reality, those kinds of success stories are outliers.

I don't imagine the mother in this story will play a big roll anyway, but as long as people don't try that kind of parenting on their kids IRL, I'm cool with it too.

@icekatze Yah. I'm not even sure why we ended up dissecting this manga so much hahaha. On the otherhand, I do like this kind of discussion, so thank you for responding! Sadly, there are parents out there that have this kind of mentality, some even worse. BTW, good luck with your studies on psychology.

Users who are viewing this thread