Musume no Tomodachi - Vol. 6 Ch. 45 - Human

I want them to get together but it sometimes feel like its just too vulnerable people starved for affection physical and emotional and are just being each other's support.

Aggregator gang
Thanks for the translation. I hope Kousuke realizes that Koto doesn't need a lover, but...i wouldn't say father, but an adult figure who cares for her and supports her.

Fed-Kun's army
"Koto do you love your mom?"
Shit he was inadvertently asking her to choose which parent she'd stay with i bet.

The translations are beyond terrible. What's the point of translating if you're going to do it so atrociously, without putting in any effort into understanding the Japanese language?

Dex-chan lover
@Hocbobby Kinda hard to call him functional adult seeing all the emotional problem he has, not to mention him dating her, a minor.

Group Leader
魚と猫 does not translate to fish or hunter. it's definitely fish or cat.

this is further supported by the fact that she literally sees a cat and goes to visit fish at the aquarium...

Group Leader
@Alice @yanhaot @momojojo

Don't you think I'm not losing a bit of sleep over these mistakes? I spend a lot of time reviewing before submitting. This panel sounded a bit off to me, but I could not find out why, but now you made me realized I simply failed to see that the kanji I had was wrong, probably a stroke or two. It's just, the overall meaning wasn't too far off that I didn't think it was such an error.

p16 panel: https://imgur.com/a/JvuvQ7g

I've said it numerous times, translation itself isn't my forte, but I'm doing my best.

Damn. I felt that.

Why so mean to the translators.
dont like it? Then do it yourself.
Stop bulli. :c

Group Leader
@princess_daphie
i wasn't chastising u. it's not my job to police scanlators. don't lump me in with others who only say something negative. im a scanlator myself and know all too well that one must practice. tho tbh, ppl are always gonna have something to say so be prepared for that.

anyway, that error was quite significant and merited being pointed out because sometimes translating text incorrectly can drastically impact the meaning behind the words.
if u aren't sure about ur translation, ask someone who knows the Japanese language well for guidance so as to avoid mistakes like this one. i personally go on discord and ask native speakers for help. i didn't really see anything else in this chap that was iffy so good job on that.

and look. so long as u keep trying to improve, the naysayers will have nothing to naysay.

Fed-Kun's army
@Lithe No no, I definitely agree that it's been hinted at in the past, just that up until now there seemed to be the very reasonable possibility that it all goes to hell and that they both wind up going through a lot more pain and frustration. Heck, if he'd acted with even slightly less restraint than he has the last few chapters, she might not have fully opened up to him or he might have been so wrapped up in his own feelings of guilt that he couldn't truly listen the way she needed. It still might end up being a bittersweet ending for them both, but at least now we have solid resolution for the core underlying problems in her life, and maybe in his. He just gave her the advice and support she's been looking for all along, so whatever happens now their relationship so far has been a boon to her. I was fretting about something like a "5cm/second" story development, with more melancholy and "what ifs" than actual character growth and maturation. This has already done better than that, for which I'm supremely grateful.

Dex-chan lover
Interesting things to note in this chapter:
-The chapter starts with her reading a book about fish, which further indicates her trying to live as a "fish" to meet her mother's expectations

-Her mother is on the ground crying after her dad asked her is she ever tried to understand him. I know typically the first assumption when people enter this scenario would be he hit her, but if you notice there's no indication of that, or any violence on his part for that matter, which I think is meant to indicate that the dad, for all his faults, is the level headed of the two

-The dad also talking to Koto about how she views her mother may be an early indication about whether or not he thinks it would be better for her to stay with her or to leave with him, which is interesting in itself

-Interestingly, Koto both sees a cat and a fish that she relates to, perhaps showing her conflicting struggle between the two positions she wants to be. The fact she also sees a happy family indicates her longing for a normal life to some extent

-The joke about her taking him there on dates because she wants merchandise is funny, but I think that the real reason is that he reminds her of her father, who also took her to museums.

-Finally, MC's comment "You're a human," I think, is meant to further the symbolism. People aren't as clear cut as trying to live in a fulfilled role trapped to be on display for others or to try and be absolutely free in all other aspects. She's a human, a mixture of both elements. Interesting.

Fed-Kun's army
I feel like translation is more like a learning process. It never can become your forte, you learn something new with every finished project release to the public.

In my earlier days (when I translated something for the first time), it was extremely crude. Sure I understood what the characters are communicating, but then picking the right words to get the meaning across was so hard. There was the option of going with "literally" what everyone was saying but then most of the dialogues wouldn't make sense. Using too many words makes it crude again. Ultimately I had to ask my mom (she reads a lot of books) the correct synonyms and use different words, often in shorter sentences.

However one thing's for sure, you can only develop motivation in translation as long as you love your project to death and want to get it across to similar minded fans. One of the reasons I have some "unfinished" translations despite a few requests is I am simply not interested in the "plot" of the project to begin with.

Dex-chan lover
Koto's mother is psychotic. She would most probably kill herself if she were to be left to her own machinations. That's why Koto stays.

His father is very distant to them, he probably has a management job in a corporation. That's why Koto's mother feels like she's being left behind. It is a common theme.

Users who are viewing this thread