My Childhood Friend Is Acting a Bit Weird - Oneshot

Contributor
On page 15 I had flashbacks of the infamous "I don't understand" childhood friend rant from Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de, except here the genders are swapped between the childhood friends and he held back from going into a 3-minute rant to ask her to just outright tell him what she wants.

The conflict in this oneshot is, it's getting harder and harder for him to guess what she wants, which culminated into page 15 with him about to beg her to just say it. But instead of resolving the problem where she finally properly tells him what she wants, she just cries and then he caves, returning to the status quo.

Would've been awesome if she realized she was giving him a hard time all along, until he swerved into "I just don't want you doing this to other people" and then he went back to enabling her little guessing games. Well, you do you. I guess he didn't want his problem solved. Not much really changed except for her confirming he has feelings for her. I wanted to like this, the art is fairly cute, but... it's more annoying than satisfying to me.

Also I wouldn't call him dense when it's her who's clearly and consistently failing to communicate properly like a human being...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Would've been awesome if she realized she was giving him a hard time all along, until he swerved into "I just don't want you doing this to other people" and then he went back to enabling her. So in the end they went back to her little guessing games. Well, you do you, guys. Not much really changed except for her confirming he has feelings for her.
That's because the author wants this to get serialized. This is basically a pilot episode with an open ending to allow for a publisher to pick this up and continue the story. If there was a satisfying conclusion it's less likely to get continued.

Contributor
That's because the author wants this to get serialized. This is basically a pilot episode with an open ending to allow for a publisher to pick this up and continue the story. If there was a satisfying conclusion it's less likely to get continued.
Yeah, many oneshots from Publisher magazines are just pilots for potential serializations. The publisher takes a look at popularity and engagement, and after several months decides if something is worth serializing. But this came out in 2018, and ~6 years later there is no serialization.

So this didn't make the cut for the publisher; not that I wanted to see a serialization of this anyway, since the the lack of proper communication in any romcom is a pet peeve of mine.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, many oneshots from Publisher magazines are just pilots for potential serializations. The publisher takes a look at popularity and engagement, and after several months decides if something is worth serializing. But this came out in 2018, and ~6 years later there is no serialization.

So this didn't make the cut for the publisher; not that I wanted to see a serialization of this anyway, since the the lack of proper communication in any romcom is a pet peeve of mine.
And since this is like the main schtick for this supposed romcom series, it will get very old, very annoying, very fast.

Not even a person with autism would have that much difficulty expressing themselves than this girl was doing.

Dex-chan lover
With that response I the only way to go is to playfully sit on her lap until she moves tbh
Surprise the lad didn't get that much

Aggregator gang
I'm questioning if she is a mind reader based on her response to him saying literally nothing but thinking the question

Users who are viewing this thread