My Home Hero - Vol. 5 Ch. 43 - Contingency

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't this guy a top of the line conman? What's the point of your threat if you say you'll go through with it, and worse, anyway? lol.

Fed-Kun's army
Man, it's like I'm reading Billy Bat again. Tightest writer since Naoki Urasawa.

Fed-Kun's army
@Redice
Just because he's a conman doesn't mean he can keep a cool head in a situation like this. We've already seen how distraught he becomes in situations concerning his son.

@Doomroar
This guy works with yakuza but he isn't a fighter himself. Tetsuo did nothing wrong. He's exhausted his available options.

Dex-chan lover
@moozooh He's plenty cool enough to throw a lie and make a call. Not panting and smashing like a rabid hulk like he does when he losses it before.
He's supposed to be a genius, once in a hundred years, conman that has 9000 points in lying skill, not a cartoon villain that reveals his plans before winning, lol.

Double-page supporter
@Xxjuggernaut yeah confessing there was very stupid, but also human, its been noted all across the story that he felt remorse for killing the guy and leaving a son-less father, even if it was justified. he listened to his emotions when he shouldnt have, then again he was tired as hell

Dex-chan lover
@jwanito Which makes no fucking sense. Literally two chapters ago he framed someone killing Nobuto to the syndicate. What is this backward add thought process

Fed-Kun's army
@Redice
He's supposed to be a genius, once in a hundred years, conman that has 9000 points in lying skill, not a cartoon villain
It's funny that you don't see the obvious contradiction there.

@Xxjuggernaut
OK, situation: somebody breaks into your daughter's apartment where you killed a yakuza member and starts sniffing around with an ALS flashlight, arriving at a residue of a large pool of blood in the middle of the room. You hide yourself but are easily exposed. The man is the father of the one you killed and also someone you have lied to before. Behind the door is a yakuza who can confirm your identity and stop you if you decide to run. The new evidence obviously calls into question your previous testimonies.

Your actions?

Dex-chan lover
@moozooh I attack him. He's the one breaking into my daughters apartment. I hid in the closet out of fear. I knew my daughter dated an abusive prick that had gang affiliation and feared that someone broke and entered the house. He found me and my last resort is to attack. He threatened me with a gun.

The last thing I'll ever do is confess is to murder.

At the start of the manga it's qualified as self defense not only for you but for his daughter. That prick planned to kill her. It is he said she said but the daughter is a key to evidence. Her bruises from the abuse. The dad visiting her home. Hiding out of fear and killing him. The police question him, tells his story and do a thorough investigation. They eventually find out he's in a gang.

But why bother? It's a manga

Double-page supporter
@Xxjuggernaut I don't think you understand. The mangaka isn't trying to write the "smartest" possible action.

Tetsuo does everything for the sake of his family, it was only once his family was mentioned here that he really took action. In fact, he wouldn't have done or have been capable of half the stuff in this manga if he didn't care for his family so much. He's not a big manly man, he just a regular salaryman who loves his family.

That's his greatest strength.

But it's also his greatest weakness.

Despite the fact that this guy is Nobuto's father, he still identifies with him as a father as well.

It doesn't matter if Nobuto's a scumbag. He knows that he'd love him anyway.

I'm also not 100% sure that Tetsuo even knows exactly what Nobuto's dad's gang connections are, he seemed incredibly confused that he wouldn't just call the police.

If you can't understand why Tetsuo finds it harder to frame someone from the syndicate than he does to act against this guy, I'm not sure you really understand Tetsuo's character.

This manga would be 1000 times more boring if Tetsuo was this hardened remorseless killer or invincible hero of justice. He's just a regular, rather meek, guy who cares a lot for his family.

Fed-Kun's army
Glad to see Tetsuo's woken up to the reality of how these people think. I'm loving this series more and more.

Dex-chan lover
@moozooh the problem is not that the guy is a fighter or not, the problem is that he has links with the Yakuza and is willing to kill him and his family, and Tetsuo already knew that and he went and confessed anyways.

He should have stabbed the guy instead.

Fed-Kun's army
@Redice
Which, ironically, is exactly what you're doing when you're thinking of a character in the framework of those exaggerated "once in a hundred years blah blah" stamps. You're ignoring the context of them being human—imperfect and fallible. He isn't some sort of a conman robot who's always in the conman mode; he's just a guy who realized he had a talent for it and decided to make it his trade. He's a human first, a conman second.

@Xxjuggernaut @Doomroar
Tetsuo did not attack Nobuto and frame Kyoichi because he's some sort of a badass action hero. He's nothing more than a family man who wants nothing else than the well-being of his wife and daughter. Attacking the guy right there would ensure that the yakuza would take revenge on the family for trying to fool them. Confessing and taking all the blame still left a notably non-zero chance that the family would be spared. It was a chance worth taking.

Realistically, Tetsuo did nothing wrong there. He couldn't take on the yakuza by himself, nor remain on the run forever; the most he could do until then was banking on the uncertainty, lack of information, and internal strife within the yakuza, none of which was stacked in his favor at the time of the break-in. He was also tired and emotionally drained of playing mind games with a criminal organization, which skewed his decision-making towards the easier, more obvious solution. When faced with inevitability, he took the morally superior choice in the hope that his family would be left out of this instead of digging an even deeper hole for all of them. Only when it became obvious that they would remain in danger either way—only then he had no other option but to fight as it ended up the only remaining course of action. Note that it didn't become more viable than turning himself in (it never was), just the only one remaining at all that would buy him at least some time to think how to save his family.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think the MC is going to learn his lesson. He's a straight-laced Japanese salaryman. He keeps being too forgiving towards people who commit rape and murder like a daily occurence. How can he be this dense when they even forced him to butcher bodies? He's a retard. He can go and die at this point, it would be natural selection.

Users who are viewing this thread