My Life as an Internet Novel - Ch. 74

OMGGGGGGG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS CHAPTER!!!!!!

I'm so excited, I can't wait until the next chapter! 😭😭😭

Bruh, my boy will finally have his moment.

Blue-haired boy Blue-haired boy Blue-haired boy Blue-haired boy Blue-haired boy Blue-haired boy Blue-haired boy Blue-haired boyBlue-haired boyBlue-haired boy
He's my boy. I love him. I want him to be endgame. Pleaaaaaaase!

I like Jiho even though I can see why everyone roots for Chunyeong. Chunyeong is just showed more because Jiho's dynamic with Dani is much more subtle and
he chose to remain friends with her because he knows Dani will never view any of them as love interests so he just chose to be the closest male friend instead. It's also due to his personality where he's an only child of his family so Jiho holds in his wants more because he has to follow whatever his father planned for him as heir. Chunyeong acts more spoiled and aloof because he's not heir so he just does as he pleases.

As a novel reader I root for Jiho more because considering closeness, Dani is closest to him. She usually talks to him when she has issues. If you were to look into all her interactions, you'll realize he's almost always the first person she contacts out of everyone else. It's just that all her interactions with him are background interactions and aren't "interesting" compare to Chunyeong and Dani who are usually at odds with each other. They go through ups and downs more so it's more interesting to read.

@noirneir Agreed. I feel Jiho's overlooked because his actions have been subtle even though he's helped Dani many times up to this point.

Ngl that dichotomy between Jiho and Chunyoung is one of the reasons why the scales tipped in Jiho's favour for me while reading the novel. You can see how both boys were raised reflected in how they express their affection/handle their feelings for Dani. As the only child and heir, Jiho was always taught to value the future above everything; he's always cautious, careful, and pauses to think about how Dani feels or how she might be affected by what he says or does. He is painfully self-aware and knows how much weight his words can carry. He indulges Dani a bit in that he lets her do things the way she wants even if he doesn't agree with her at times. That said, he can completely lose his composure when desperation sinks in.

Chunyoung is the baby of the family, didn't have to shoulder the responsibilities as an heir, and his two brothers spoiled him without him ever having to utter a word about what he wanted. He's not an entitled brat though, simply heaped with adoration and attention to his needs. He never had to suppress his wants like Jiho did which is why Chunyoung's more likely to act on his impulses and be in the moment. He's true to himself and steadfast whereas Jiho is hesitant and at times indecisive because he's always weighing the consequences of his actions. But Chunyoung's impulsiveness is also why he and Dani fight a lot. He doesn't realize the weight of his words or the consequences of his actions in the moment, like how his words "I like you because you don't have any interest in me" negatively affected Dani's mindset for the next three years.

I'm kinda disappointed the webtoon toned down or skipped some of Jiho and Dani's hilarious banter and other small moments from the novel that show how close they are and how comfortable they are around each other. Like the chapter where Dani got into an argument with her parents and texted Jiho right after - in the novel, she actually says Jiho is the person she felt most comfortable opening up to in those situations. They omitted that line in the webtoon.

@sardonic Yupp I feel the same way as you. I think people who read the novel are more inclined to
ship Jiho and Dani more. The novel just portrayed more of Jiho's feelings. Webtoon is cute to read since we can see the characters and colors but in terms of details and behind the scenes, it doesn't do much justice with Jiho's character. There were some instances where I felt they made Jiho's feelings even more subtle in the webtoon than the novel.

I also agree Chunyeong doesn't think much how his words can hurt Dani. In fact in the novel Yeoryeon even mentioned Chunyeon and Dani fights the most and whenever they fight they go into silent treatment. These things aren't really portrayed as well in the webtoon since the time duration is skipped for these silent treatments and it makes their fights less drastic but in reality as people, if we can't communicate well with each other, the baseline of a long lasting relationship will be thwarted. Of course, people can change but having read the novels, Chunyeong doesn't change as much with this as he will put more focus on his job. He likes Dani but he is someone who will always have his job and his own wants before others. Even when he tells Dani she can always call him, he doesn't make any huge effort to do his part into calling her. Of course Dani will always take into consideration he will be busy and thus won't call him. It takes a lot for both of them to reach something together. Even from the very start when Dani was very close to having feelings for him, he went and said he "likes" her because she doesn't have romantic feelings for him. It's like they're never at the right place and time.

Jiho on the other hand may take Dani's feelings into consideration for all his decisions but he still tries to make the effort to be close with her. It was mentioned how he visits her occasionally. It was also described their fights don't last long because they will tease each other and everything will be forgiven. He does a lot of subtle little things that aren't interesting to the reader that allows him to be close to her. Some people say he's sarcastic and mean and thus hate him but it's not a hateful personality. Dani accepts him for who he is. She's the reason he is open to acting as such because she liked him better as himself.

In her defense
he confessed when he met her accidentally on a street while he was having a date with another girl. Although the girl was a "family-business-date", it's still a date.
Of course Dan-i didn't take him seriously. Let's face it, no matter how much of a genius Ji-ho is, he's a social idiot.

Anyone can point me where to read the novel? It was released officially in my country but then the app reformed and all novel's gone. :(

IM SO EXCITED FOR THE NE T CHAPTER IM HYPERVENTILATING 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

In case anyone was wondering, THIS is when I started to really ship Jiho with Dan-I and where I started to not like Chunyeung with Dan-I. Jiho starts to really get fleshed more as a character for me in a way that makes me root for him.

@lyndine2009 Er, not quite.
It happened at school and he wasn't dating that girl. Dani thought Jiho was joking at first and using her as a way to escape the girl but she eventually realized Jiho wasn't kidding after he kept insisting that he meant it. I like Dani and the way she answered Jiho is kind of hilarious but ultimately, it was pretty insensitive because she really didn't think about Jiho's feelings at all when she replied. Jiho's really not an idiot in social situations - he can't be with his upbringing and it's pretty much confirmed in-universe that he's good at reading the flow of people's emotions... But Dani is a wildcard.

@noirneir It's weird. I think the webtoon actually does some fun things like giving us some scenes from outside of Dani's perspective.
To name a few, Jiho's ears turning red in the car is only visible in the webtoon (ch47) whereas in the novel, it's only speculated by Dani that he was embarrassed. They also added Jiho's POV when Dani called him in front of her class (ch69) which we never got in the novel. But they also took out some scenes, like a lot of Jiho and Dani's silly banter, which is a shame cuz they're hilarious but I get they have to condense things a little. In chapter 48 of the webtoon, Jiho says Dani's parents called him to bring everyone over to hang out with her. It's subtle but you can still kind of see how Dani's parents are more familiar with Jiho than the other guys. In the novel, it's more obvious cuz Dani says Jiho is the one who goes in and out of her house the most, to the point she derisively calls him the fourth resident of her house.

Ultimately, I think it's a bit of a wash as far as the subtlety of Jiho's feelings go in the webtoon (sometimes it's more obvious, sometimes it's toned down), but the novel is much better at showing how close Dani and Jiho actually are. It's more inferred here but the novel is quite upfront about it.

And yes, definitely. Jiho respects Dani's boundaries but he always makes an effort to be close with her. Dani more or less says she always kind of pushed Jiho away but he'd just throw a joke back at her in response and that gradually chipped away at the walls she put up till they became close friends. I feel like Chunyoung really shot himself in the foot by telling Dani he "liked" her because she didn't show any interest in him. It just made Dani put her heart under lock and key and stopped them from growing closer. This whole dichotomy/contrast between Jiho and Chunyoung stretches so many layers, like from the beginning of the story.

Do people really think Jiho's mean? I think he's a harmless troll and it adds another layer to him. He also teases Dani and jokes around with her so she'd feel more comfortable interacting with him that way. She even says despite all his sarcastic jokes, Jiho never does anything she actually hates.

Users who are viewing this thread