My Master Has No Tail - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - 東の旅発端 / Eastern Journey (Prologue)

Dex-chan lover
I'm so used to other manga that I got surprised from seeing them buying stuff with much smaller values of yen.

I wonder what landed Shihara's mentor in jail. I'm guessing her discovery of that fact is what made her want to quit.

Dex-chan lover
@Tersione

Perhaps you already know this: The yen was introduced in the late 19th Century as a one-dollar coin, which was an internationally standard weight of silver. 100 sen were a yen, and 10 rin were a sen. As everywhere else, money was later debased and the currency units lost purchasing power as the state paid for things by printing and minting nominal money. Coins valued at less than one yen were demonetized in 1953.

Dex-chan lover
@leusee

It is especially problematic to compare purchasing power across long spans of time. But, using standard measures, a yen at the time of this story would said to be worth about 2900 yen now.

That makes thd bidding in this story seem absurd, but the mangaka probably knew very little about the price level and probably didn't expect many readers to know or to care.

Users who are viewing this thread