My New Friend Wasn't What I Expected - Ch. 26.5 - ⭐️☀️🌙

Dex-chan lover
I guess this is the author's formal statement that this is a love triangle now?

(Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I read too many manga to remember fine details of stories)

Dex-chan lover

(Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I read too many manga to remember fine details of stories)
It's an informal implication, but yes. At least as an arc.

Dex-chan lover
Thank goodness this series got revived :win:

And woohoo love triangle! Thanks but no thanks! They barely even were in a relationship now things got complicated.

But then again tis yuri :pepehmm:

Dex-chan lover

It's an informal implication, but yes. At least as an arc.
Wasn't it outright confirmed like two chapters ago though? They both had agreement they fell in love with the same girl :thonk:

Dex-chan lover

Is Lolita even still a thing?
I know FRUiTS was brought back recently last year, which many saw its termination in 2017 alongside Gothic & Lolita Bible as the "Lolita is officially dead" milestones. But I feel that by this point, anyone who liked it has moved to other styles, like 地雷系, or has fall prey to fast fashion, which is all the rage in Japan.

Dex-chan lover
I know FRUiTS was brought back recently last year, which many saw its termination in 2017 alongside Gothic & Lolita Bible as the "Lolita is officially dead" milestones. But I feel that by this point, anyone who liked it has moved to other styles, like 地雷系, or has fall prey to fast fashion, which is all the rage in Japan.
I don't know the actual fashion landscape in Japan, but I happened to travel there many times this year and last year (Mainly Osaka & Tokyo) and there's minimum 1-2 Lolita shops in teen/young adult shopping area, which is more than a few years ago where there were only one at most in major shopping area. That gotta point to something IMO.

Dex-chan lover
I know nothing of Japan current fashion trends, what I do know is that the author themselves loves to draw characters in lolita clothes in their Twitter.

So it's probably just the author's own likes being applied to their story.

Dex-chan lover

No, not really. Just character information for the only 3 characters in the series thus far. I wouldn't go in expecting love triangle stuff moving forward.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Wasn't it outright confirmed like two chapters ago though? They both had agreement they fell in love with the same girl :thonk:
I think of a love triangle as an ongoing fixture, not just multiple love interests or suitors.

A triangle was almost guaranteed after the only direct confession/admission in the series was both rivals too each other. That's huge. Sei-Yuzu scenes (and flirting) that develop Sei and reduce Hina's POV dominance are big indicators. There was still some chance for Sei's love to be a plot device and tease without many appearances, which wouldn't be a triangle with respect to the series, I think.

The extra gave Sei and Yuzu the same emphasis, finally convincing me the rivalry is a story fixture and not a garnish. I thought I'd need a few more pages to be sure, then the author drops a word of god diagram lol

Dex-chan lover
I think of a love triangle as an ongoing fixture, not just multiple love interests or suitors.
That's a good point
A triangle was almost guaranteed after the only direct confession/admission in the series was both rivals too each other. That's huge. Sei-Yuzu scenes (and flirting) that develop Sei and reduce Hina's POV dominance are big indicators. There was still some chance for Sei's love to be a plot device and tease without many appearances, which wouldn't be a triangle with respect to the series, I think.
I just hope it won't be too generic love triangle and that she becomes less of jerk, knowing this author I think we can expect for the best, my only doubt is for the long run plot, if we'll get a fourth girl so it's two couples, if she'll be a third wheel for a long time, or we'll get the rare poly.
The extra gave Sei and Yuzu the same emphasis, finally convincing me the rivalry is a story fixture and not a garnish. I thought I'd need a few more pages to be sure, then the author drops a word of god diagram lol
I guess the author didn't want to leave any doubts, the diagram was a surprise for sure lol

Dex-chan lover
I don't know the actual fashion landscape in Japan, but I happened to travel there many times this year and last year (Mainly Osaka & Tokyo) and there's minimum 1-2 Lolita shops in teen/young adult shopping area, which is more than a few years ago where there were only one at most in major shopping area. That gotta point to something IMO.
Oh, that points to the fashion going through a small revival, I guess. (Just like Gyaru in general, which also died in the 2010s and has recently come back a bit.) I haven't been to Japan recently because the dollar is doing crazy things with my currency. But just like you said, the last time I went, the amount of Lolita shops in general was almost nonexistent. Sure, you could still find a store here and there, but it was a far cry from how it was during the 2000s.

Last edited:
I feel like lolita and gyaru are now kind of old enough to make a comeback of some sort, even if just taking inspiration of some elements. But even with gal style getting more popular I doubt there are many ganguro walking around if any.
Hina's outfits are also not really as puffy as I would expect of more traditional lolita styles.

Users who are viewing this thread