My Recently Hired Maid Is Suspicious (Magazine) - Ch. 5

Power Uploader
Few things I need to say.
First off, I didn't color the eyes for this chapter. I bought the tankoubon of the first volume and noticed that the eyes were colored in it.
I'm planning to replace the older chapters with the proper colored eyes version from the tankoubon and I thought it'd be better to leave the new chapters uncolored since the proper colored version will come out in the future and it'll always look better than what I could do.

There's also the fact that the tankoubon adds the webcomic to it, fusing both together and also making the chapter numbers different. Do you all think the webcomic chapters should be added to this serialization ? Should I just keep going with the magazine release and ignore the tankoubon chapter order ?

Contributor
I misread the twitter handle as bacon-wakame.

Seamore-bacon.png

Dex-chan lover
Lilith in Jahy's clothes?
Author sure loves to go beyond.

Double-page supporter
This kid is a walking case of accidental You Have Triggered My Trap Card

Nou

Dex-chan lover
@zorikinu

May as well keep them separate, no point in merging them together if they are different.

Contributor
Well this is interesting. Didn’t think we’d get things from the maid’s perspective, at least not this early.

Aggregator gang
The maid is too smug and seductive for her own good. Everything she says and does sounds flirtatious.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
No purple eyes, -10/10, dropped, 1 rating /s

Aggregator gang
I hope the maid teaches him other board games. Once we went to a relatives place where they were hardasses. My mom felt bad for me and bought me Battleship and Connect 4. She even played with me, it was fun.

Whenever my cousin used to come over, it was a ritual among us to play Uno and other card games.

Either way games are indeed a very good method of bonding, the maid did indeed take a step forward.

I'm fairly certain she was in some way involved in the downfall of his house, maybe she's some kind of demon or spirit, and she regrets ruining the life of such a pure child (and, as we now realize, an ultimate, supreme, and godly chad) and wants to make it up to him by keeping him company and acting as his maid.

Since both webcomic and serialization are connected together in a way that if you haven’t read webcomic first some of the flashback wouldn’t make much sense, in my opinion i think it would be better to merge the 2 to make it easier to understand

Double-page supporter
@Zorikinu If they’re merged together in the volume release, IMO it should be merged together here. Awkward Senpai is a good example because they did the same thing(merging the two): https://mangadex.org/title/44210/awkward-senpai
The decimal chapters are from the preserialization.

Dex-chan lover
Chess analysis time!

Chad Master (White) 0 vs. Suspicious Maid Lilith-san (Black) 1
C68 Ruy Lopez, Exchange Variation
1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
Pg. 318, bottom panel.
3. Bb5
pg. 319, top right panel; you can see that the bishop is lined up with knight and the king.
3. ... a6
This move is not shown. However, the next time we see Goshujin-sama-kun with a piece in his hand, it's a bishop again, and we know it can't be the other bishop since it's visible in the same panel. If he's had any formal opening training, he would only be likely to move his bishop a second time if it was attacked, as per the extremely common Black reply 3...a6, which is usually called Morphy's Defense.
4. Bxc6
We can't see the bishop move he actually made, and it could actually be 4.Ba4 as well. There are a number of valid replies to 4.Ba4 that involve pawn moves (which we know is what Lilith-san does next.) We do know that he proudly proclaims his intention to do battle as he lifts the bishop. From his generally cocky attitude and bold words, I posit that he would be highly unlikely to do so if he was doing something as cowardly as a bishop retreat.
5. ... dxc6
Of the two valid pawn moves that recapture the knight, this is the good way to recapture in the Exchange variation. Since we know Lilith-san is an ultra-capable elite meido and it seems likely from the last panel of the last page that she won this game, I suspect she would know about this, and therefore have made this move.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game is not shown. In the last panel, all the pieces have already been returned to their original positions - you can see the white bishop back with his king.

I'm going to give Konbu Wakame-san 4/5 for accuracy. Even Western media sometimes goofs up on the chess hard, and in comics I have seen all kinds of nonsense - from completely random positions with both kings in check, to boards that are 6x7 or 7x7 instead of the proper 8x8. Everything about the chess board is completely accurate here. It's even set up with the white square in the bottom right corner for each player, as it should be! For the game to actually be a completely plausible chess game is truly remarkable. The choice of opening is perfect - the Ruy Lopez is one of the oldest and most widely played chess openings, and unlike some other openings it has consistently been that for four hundred years. This would have been a plausible chess game in 1720 as well as in 2020!

There is just one slight inaccuracy - the only reason I'm assuming this was the result of carefully done research, not Konbu Wakame being an actual chess player. Did you notice it? You probably did, but maybe I'll put it in spoilers anyway:

In the bottom panel of pg. 318, Master-kun tells Lilith it's her move. However, he hasn't moved his bishop yet in that panel, so it's still his move.

I only take off one point for this because it's actually perfectly possible for it to be actually Lilith's move in this position! If the game had gone 1. e3 e5 2. e4 Nc6 3. Nf3, or any transposition thereof, it would be Lilith's turn. However, that's an extremely atypical way to play that you'd only see from a player who just really wants to be Black in every game, and uses creative ways to lose their first move advantage and still be in a common opening (which they likely have studied) - but in this setting, if Master had wanted to be Black, he could have just chosen the Black pieces from the start. Makes no sense. Thus I think it's more likely for this to be a slight continuity goof on the part of a mangaka who clearly did excellent research.

@Zorikinu Yup agree with following the tankoubon - It probably meant that the webcomic is cannon and the author won't repeat some of the details and scenes in those chapters. Also makes sense to put everything from the same title under one index since the webcomic isn't gonna get anymore updates anyway.

@silfir hmm interesting analysis (not the actual moves since I know nothing about chess) but the fact that it is an actual game.
If I was a hard working mangaka wanting to draw a realistic chess progression, I would likely just search up an older competitive chess game and follow the steps they took. But probably an amateur one since the characters wont be grandmaster level. Does that ring any bells? Or perhaps those set of moves belonged to a old "misconception" of a good strategy? Sometimes when researching stuff, the ones that rank higher in search results are older and thus outdated.

Though I'd think a more probable one is that the author followed Ruy Lopez (either from research or simply asking someone who knew chess), but in editing, messed up the continuity. Might be last minute rearranging of panels - would explain why the young master declared it was the maid's turn even though it supposedly wasn't?

Users who are viewing this thread