Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai - Vol. 7 Ch. 41

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking it up

I can see why interest is waning. With chapters like these the premise is dropped entirely and there’s hardly any conflict (like not even slice of life conflict). It feels a bit like the author’s philosophical ramblings distilled through fictional characters. I still think it does a nice job of characterizing the characters and building an interesting dynamic. But it is a drag to get through with pages upon pages of text with little conflict. The resolution also isn’t super interesting (it hasn’t been since the Eri reveal and conflict). They pretty much just come to the “good” conclusion and its hard to say they experienced change or growth. Eri is the only one that even needs to grow and that’s been reqlly slow and she feels more like the comedic relief than anything right now. At least with the main cast even when the plot is kinda ridiculous or even nothing a specific lesson is taught to the characters and they noticeably experience so,e growth. Which i guess is also fine if the author is trying to treat the school chapters as filler to flesh out the world and have these conversation (but then again I’m not sure focusing on a single high school and having somewhat unrealistic debates between teenagers accomplishes that). I’ll definitely stick around to see how it goes though.

That said, I’m not sure the logic holds up. Like if there are 8 billion people and soon more robots than people than that’s a little hard to believe. There’s not nearly that many cars in the world; there’s less than 2 billion and we’re already running into major space issues ne that’s me assuming these robots run on completely clean power (which btw not even humans do and even fully electric cars (which isn’t entirely clean energy either) are manufactured in carbon footprint heavy ways). Did the teacher mean more robots than people in Japan where the population is smaller and dwindling? Because that’s more believable but feels like a different problem.

Dex-chan lover
Regardless of how this translates to real life, it is nice as an exploration of how the world of the manga would have to tread on those aspects. I won't say the robotics club fits in this manga, it'd definitively be better if it was separate from it, but it works for what I imagine is the purpose: discussions about how robots and humans in that world would view different topics when robots can be sentient enough to appear human, without having the main pair be the ones having them each time.

Like, they completely forego the usual trope of robots developing a hatred for humans, instead turning it into affection to different levels (let's not forget the robot that killed their partner), while humans are the ones showing the most hostility towards them. Not to say it is the epitome of philosophical writting, but it is a way to explore more stuff about the world itself, and how other people, and most particularly now, the robots themselves, see particular aspects of it. And I feel it is nice to have that space, without making it seem like our MC has no job to do besides being at home with his robowife, or put the framing of those discussion in a business setting with the pair from the robot manufacturer (because the child and super mina CERTAINLY can't get into these types of talks with how young he is, it'd be basically a monologue from Super Mina at most).

d0v

Thanks for picking this up. It's one of the best books I've read that can balance robo-waifu fluff with deep discussions of the human condition. The best kind of sci-fi.

Dex-chan lover
It's like a mangaka made an ai chatbot for his characters to get through his writers block.

Dex-chan lover
Is he really a robot? He seems like a solid fake-out character.

Dex-chan lover
This discussions for robot rights are neat and all but all I can think is how would the characters react if there actually was a malicious human that hacks a robot just to essentially ruin all the acceptance the characters have towards robots being "sentient". Like the initial introduction to the robot research club(and Eri) was so close to actually making a counterpoint to "robot rights = good" that there isn't even a point to having the philosophical discussions for.

Power Uploader
Tbh, have no problem with the ideas or debate of the right for robots. It is an interesting topic for sure just not sure if it fits in this kind of story. Like everything seems to run alright we see some hate against robots for example from the school girl but that gets destroyed because seems she is a robot. Don't know just feel like most people we see don't have any problems with it and feels like we get ramblings in the text about it but not examples in the world.

Dex-chan lover
Uugh, mangaka out here trying to be a philosophy major. More wife, less club.
and thats good, a manga doesnt need to just focus on one thing, these questions are important for the setting, specially since our mc marries a robot.

Dex-chan lover
arrested development narrator: "It was old by the 2nd panel."

Remember when this series was fun and not a bunch of shallow pop philosophy navel-gazing masquerading as deep thoughts and issue exploration?
these are questions that we need to do, these are the questions that a marriage with a robot wife will bring to the table, and yes i also remember when this was a shallow comedy that had a kirky wife, how interesting.

Dex-chan lover
Well, I like the phylosophical questions behind the nature of robots vs the human nature and all. Like some have said, i do believe that if we get to the point that robots have conscience and emotions that are similar to humans, that they should be treated in a similar way as any other human. HOWEVER, I do think that it is unfortunately a huge mistake to develop and allow AI to even come close to this point, despite liking robots myself. It will only bring misery, both for them and for humans. Humans don't treat each other well, let alone a being many will perceive as unnatural or soulless.

That being said, i do understand the author's need to expand the manga beyond the lives of our protagonists, but personally i think he should put more focus on it. It is the main point of the manga, afterall.

Dex-chan lover
these are questions that we need to do, these are the questions that a marriage with a robot wife will bring to the table, and yes i also remember when this was a shallow comedy that had a kirky wife, how interesting.
I agree that this is a topic that a manga like this should touch, but the majority of people (myself included) started to like the manga because of the dynamic of the MC and his wife, when things were more light-hearted and stuff. People were drawn in because of the romance and the novelty of it all, so it is understandable that they feel frustrated when the focus of the manga shifts to something else.

IMO it should be something like 80% MC and robot waifu, and 20% world building and philosophy stuff; and even so, it needs to be dilluted and spread evenly as to not make the mood of the manga shift from it's initial premise too much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread