Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai - Vol. 7 Ch. 41

Dex-chan lover
...okay is that Guy a Chuuni Robot or some Chuuni dude that just pretends to be a robot? This old man is confused.

Dex-chan lover
Presenting moral and philosophical questions about robot sapience and robot rights has been the point of the manga from day one, even in chapters with Mina. The author makes it very clear that he wants to discuss the nuances of a robot society and social dynamics, especially since his worldbuilding is already unique compared to many other stories featuring them, what with the parent companies that build the robots going to surprising lengths to guarantee the safety and well-being of the robots themselves for the sake of their clients, as well as respecting and closely studying the relationships said clients have with their robots, instead of just kicking them around all the time like it's a Boston Dynamics promotional video. The premise of Mina's cuteness is of course important but the story is evidently meant to go beyond simple slice of life routine.

Dex-chan lover
Presenting moral and philosophical questions about robot sapience and robot rights has been the point of the manga from day one, even in chapters with Mina. The author makes it very clear that he wants to discuss the nuances of a robot society and social dynamics, especially since his worldbuilding is already unique compared to many other stories featuring them, what with the parent companies that build the robots going to surprising lengths to guarantee the safety and well-being of the robots themselves for the sake of their clients, as well as respecting and closely studying the relationships said clients have with their robots, instead of just kicking them around all the time like it's a Boston Dynamics promotional video. The premise of Mina's cuteness is of course important but the story is evidently meant to go beyond simple slice of life routine.
I think the main problem is not using the main characters for that end. Instead of going through these problems while exploring their dynamic as a couple and following their day to day lives, the focus is shifted to other characters.

In short, i think people wanted more Mina & MC screen time, less of the rest.

Group Leader
I did honestly find that last page kinda cute, though. It looked like chuunitron was blushing as she stared at him/he at her. He then invents some wild excuse to break away from it. Relatable ngl.
Finally somebody mentions it! I did find it pretty cute myself too lol, maybe they become a couple too? 😊

Dex-chan lover
I think the main problem is not using the main characters for that end. Instead of going through these problems while exploring their dynamic as a couple and following their day to day lives, the focus is shifted to other characters.

I can see why they did that this way. For our MC there is no debate as Mina is his Wife he loves so this dialog pretty much would never happen in their dynamic and Mina's view on that was explored early. But what about everyone else and the view of other normal Non-Mina Model Robots? That's what they now used the club for to have what is pretty much an infodump discussion about this.
Thinking about it I feel that is actually a decent way to do it instead of shoehorning it into the main dynamic when it doesn't fit with the two.

People being angry about a manga with robot emotions referenced in the title trying to discuss the meaning of the term robot emotions lmao

Dex-chan lover
I feel like the robot club is just exposition-ing the stuff the main story just makes you already think about? Manga do that from time to time, I guess.

Dex-chan lover
I can see why they did that this way. For our MC there is no debate as Mina is his Wife he loves so this dialog pretty much would never happen in their dynamic and Mina's view on that was explored early. But what about everyone else and the view of other normal Non-Mina Model Robots? That's what they now used the club for to have what is pretty much an infodump discussion about this.
Thinking about it I feel that is actually a decent way to do it instead of shoehorning it into the main dynamic when it doesn't fit with the two.
Yes, that's exactly it. Among all the groups presented in the setting, these kind of free from explorations of dynamics and concepts ideally shared but fundamentally different between humans and robots... can't be impartially or meaningfully discussed, except by the club.

Husband and wife are incredibly hardheaded on their positions (Mina sees herself as replacable and, even with the emotional aspects she has, incomparable to MC; MC just treats his wife and child as humanly as he can, regardless of whether that'd be perfectly fitting or appropriate on every scenario), the corporate pair is...part of a corporation which benefits from robots being treated well and liked by their purchasers, and Super Mina and the kid are too separate in their mental development to discuss about these things on a level beyond personal and somewhat simple (or completely one-sided, be it on emotional argument from the kid, or something like an expository monologue from Super Mina).

The Club is composed of people with slightly different stances and ways of approaching the arguments, and with enough education to each give an argument for a certain position or point of view in the discussion. It can be people discussing without a necessarily right or wrong position (though the author usually does "strongly suggest" the one he considers more positive), without it feeling like they're trying to directly teach or exposit to someone in particular (usually the MC in the initial chapters).

Dex-chan lover

It's also just because there hasn't been much development of these side characters to like them that much. We had our eyes on Mina and MC for a good chunk in the beginning, having such a large focus on philosophy just through characters debating it rather than through experience is a sort of a cop-out. But I understand that the author is probably having trouble writing, and I still love this manga, so I will keep reading in hopes it gets better.

Dex-chan lover
It's also just because there hasn't been much development of these side characters to like them that much. We had our eyes on Mina and MC for a good chunk in the beginning, having such a large focus on philosophy just through characters debating it rather than through experience is a sort of a cop-out. But I understand that the author is probably having trouble writing, and I still love this manga, so I will keep reading in hopes it gets better.
I totally agree. I also love this manga. I don't mind the phylosophical questions, i think they should be made, but my favorite chapters are the ones that focus on the main characters. having to resort to side characters to answer those questions sort of breaks the rhythm of the story a bit, i think.

It would be funny if that guy wasn't actually an android, but a human chuuni pretending to be one. Why else have obviously displayed robot arm?

Dex-chan lover
While I like this series, I don't think it need even MORE characters. Specially when characters seem to just be forgotten about at random already. Like, what even happened to the ghost, the Klutzy Super Mina or Takuma's Sister and her girlfriend?

Supporter
Ultimately, I think whether you like the Robot Club chapters will basically boil down to whether you can stomach us suddenly going from Phillip K. Dick to Isaac Asimov. Both of them will address some similar topics, but Asimov is more willing to just veer into philosophical navel-gazing about it using the characters as object lessons.

Users who are viewing this thread