My Wife Is From a Thousand Years Ago - Ch. 282

Group Leader
The smug cat is so cute lol. Interesting philosophy leaking through jianghe, author has done their research instead of following the conventional "temples were grassroots welfare organizations and refuges for only the poor" sentiment

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

Her bloodlust leaking...
(OωO`)...

Dex-chan lover
Bro dropped an interesting persuasion piece in the middle of the chapter

Dex-chan lover
Thanks a lot for the translations, this story really helped me during these tough years.

Dex-chan lover
Tasted more like propaganda to me, but whatever.
Agreed. This story seems to look at the past as a fantasy wuxia-like bullshit with people flying and dropping trees one-handed. Still, at the same time, the present seems like a fantasy-like China where all the people seem happy, bureaucracy works, and only a few evildoers are going around.
And "worshipping humans"? I guess Second Miss would've been a swiftie :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
Agreed. This story seems to look at the past as a fantasy wuxia-like bullshit with people flying and dropping trees one-handed. Still, at the same time, the present seems like a fantasy-like China where all the people seem happy, bureaucracy works, and only a few evildoers are going around.
hey, if you don’t get on the wrong side of the law, china’s a really nice place.
out of all the foreigners i’ve met there, i’ve only heard of one of them getting arrested. (he was human trafficking, he was bringing in college students to work in schools without work visas)

Dex-chan lover
hey, if you don’t get on the wrong side of the law, china’s a really nice place.
out of all the foreigners i’ve met there, i’ve only heard of one of them getting arrested. (he was human trafficking, he was bringing in college students to work in schools without work visas)
You can say that about most places. As long as you obey the law and do what the government tells you, you'll be fine. What those laws and policies are make all the difference.

Dex-chan lover
The smug cat is so cute lol. Interesting philosophy leaking through jianghe, author has done their research instead of following the conventional "temples were grassroots welfare organizations and refuges for only the poor" sentiment
Exactly, I was just about to say this! I read Hua Hai Mei Kai's work for the cuteness, of course, btu I wasn't expecting such a (comparatively) profound meditation on philosophy and the nature of religion in a cute little romance manhua. Now, I won't argue with the folks who say its propagandistic, but at the very least, it's better written propaganda than you'd expect, again, from just a fluffy romance comic.

Dex-chan lover
it seems that the travel arc may be coming to an end

First of all, Buddha was also a human. And he in his lifetime did achive commendable achievemens. I am not a Buddhist but I says so cuz I don't like people disrespecting historicals figures of my country for measely political correctness.

- and what did the author try to hint why signaling at the traditional couple? Is it some new manhua??

Dex-chan lover
First of all, Buddha was also a human. And he in his lifetime did achive commendable achievemens. I am not a Buddhist but I says so cuz I don't like people disrespecting historicals figures of my country for measely political correctness.

- and what did the author try to hint why signaling at the traditional couple? Is it some new manhua??
Not political correctness, it seems more like in line with the official Chinese Communist Party policies and their long history of restricting religious freedom as "foreign".

Dex-chan lover
It is definitely odd seeing the old lady being Secular out of seamingly nowhere. This is China after all, and there is plenty of cultural heritage that is religiously themed.
Like how she is asking for a proper wedding all while showing disdain towards the temples.

Clearly the author trying to push a message that over all was not well baked into the story.

But can't wait for them having kids and go to the arcades as teased in this chapter!

Group Leader
Tasted more like propaganda to me, but whatever.
Sure, it sounds like propaganda to the average mangadex reader no doubt, but negative sentiment towards monasteries has never been unusual, even becoming mainstream at several points of history, typically during warring periods. And sure, there is plenty of room for debate and inspection, but to just wave it off as propaganda instead of an interesting, in-chatacter point put forward by the author is disingenuous.
This is even more ridiculous. The premise of the story itself is already clear that the manhua is meant to be a fluff story with fantasy elements, and the author is known to like the use of darker elements in the past to augment the fluff that the main characters currently enjoy. All of this doesn't even require you to know what living in modern day China is actually like lol
It is definitely odd seeing the old lady being Secular out of seamingly nowhere. This is China after all, and there is plenty of cultural heritage that is religiously themed.
Like how she is asking for a proper wedding all while showing disdain towards the temples.
Religion in ancient China is not as straightforward as Christianity or similar branches in the US. I don't even remember which period Jianghe is supposed to be from, and I have no idea about the spheres of influence various religions hold in those times, but there can be hundreds of schools of thoughts and local religions spreading in China at the same time, especially when times are bad and people looked towards whatever gave them faith or which faction practically helped them the most.

Stereotypically, martial practitioners during times of strife favor Taoists who have a reputation of helping the needy over the Buddhists who have a reputation of shutting their doors to preserve religion. Obviously, it's just a stereotype so while it's common to see martial arts manhua and manhwa despise monks, it's probably not as black and white historically.

Regardless, my point is simply that it's not really out of nowhere per se and that your view of China's religious cultural heritage is true at some level since religion has been a huge influence at various points of history, but doesn't actually reflect how commoners in a mostly agricultural society would have lived their lives.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm surprised Jiang He and Xu Qing didn't dress up in Hanfu.

I guess Jiang He's an atheist.

Group Leader
I'm surprised Jiang He and Xu Qing didn't dress up in Hanfu.

I guess Jiang He's an atheist.
1. Hanfu isn't religious
2. the style and designs of hanfu vary by time period and ofc quality, idk if there are specific names for what rich people and poor people wear but hanfu is just a general term for cultural Han clothing
3. Why would she pay money to wear "regular clothes from when she was struggling"?

Users who are viewing this thread