Nagasarete Airantou - Vol. 29 Ch. 178 - Having an Adventure

Supporter
So on page 13 does Ikuto call Kuma-Kuma a he in the raws? Or has it just not updated yet? (I see the message below that it was updated 13 minutes ago, but I don't know to what that refers... like which page)

Anyway....

I love Misaki showing off her yuki-onna powers. Her familiar is my favorite for some reason.

Dex-chan lover
that Ayane interation was worth the wait. If he's meeting all the girls, I'm sure they're saving Machii for last. That should be fun.

Supporter
He just assumed Kuma-Kuma is male. He doesn't have the memories or politeness to differentiate.

This isn't an issue with the translator or author, but literally that Ikuto knows no better in his condition

Group Leader
@An76685 - As the translator for this chapter (and the past several), I can clear up this mystery. At the time I translated this chapter, two weeks ago, I had no idea as to the gender of Kuma-Kuma, and the Japanese language does not provide many clues in normal speech. If Kuma-kuma were to speak in Japanese, and refer to herself as 私 (watashi or atashi), I would almost instantly say she was female. On the other hand, if the character had used 俺 (ore) to refer to themself, I would say it was a male. But Kuma-kuma does not speak in this chapter other than to make vague fluffy noises. And I am not as well versed in the lore of this series as you readers are.

All that said, I watched the fifth anime episode the other day (after having completed the chapter script), and in that chapter it was perfectly obvious what her gender (or at least personality) was. Feminine. Unfortunately, I forgot to go back through the script for chapter 178 and fix it. And our typesetter and final QA person didn't notice it either.

Shame on us. The next chapter will have a returning translator (@GreenMoriyama). Hopefully his memory for lore in this very long series is better than mine.

@rpapo
It's fine really.
With how many Volumes there are it's easy to forget minor characters even for a translator following along.
Thanks for the hard work!

Users who are viewing this thread