Nanahoshi to Tachibana - Vol. 2 Ch. 9 - Festival's White Bread

Dex-chan lover
This was certainly an interesting and rather short series, but it was most enjoyable to fill in gaps of what is and isn't told in it.

I had a feeling this series wouldn't last but damn I did not expect it to be cut off that hard and fast. This once again showing the differences between Japanese and western taste. Just look at tv series like Grimm and Supernatural among dozens of others that were big successes that this would fit into the same nitch.

hmm its confusing but I think the author wants you to make your own theories.
i quite liked this one, though it didnt seem like it would last very long. looking forward to the authors next work and thanks for translating this!

Thanks for the chapter!

It's really confusing but I understand the story now. It just my theory though :v

I just totally don’t get it. The vagueness was more frustrating than intriguing.

Dex-chan lover
In the end I'm still not sure what the twin endgame is.

Meh, I'll just take it that they don't want to harm the villagers and just want to sell breads.

It sounds as though the “witch” was someone that helped the village and the “merchant” was the evil one.

The hero became the villain and vice versa and all that.

Might be something that there was a bad harvest or some catastrophe that happened and the merchant blamed it on the witch and “saved” the town

Fed-Kun's army
Nvr mind my praise. The ending and the vagueness just shows that the author had no clue or idea for the story. Just another excuse to draw cute lolis. Utterly disappointed.

Double-page supporter
This is really interesting. I hope they will continue the story, but i guess the vagueness itself is the charm of the story . Overall i'm glad to find this story!

@Harouki
That makes so much sense. I had a feeling that there was something off about the story of the witch. History is often written from the point of view of the victor.
Throughout the story, the twins were helping people constantly, even though there were moments where they seemed creepy.

Alright. Hear me out.

The "secret" ingredient theyve putted inside the bread wasnt poison but probably more similar to a drug

The reason they make bread is because the merchant originally wanted to sell bread, but taking from the dialog "..but he ate it before he could sell it" im guessing the merchant putted poison in his recipe and died. It also can be interpreted as their form of revenge to the merchant

The witch story was half true, my headcannon is the same with @Harouki comment below

The twins became eternal after tasting their master's blood

But whatever i could be totally wrong but all in all this was a reaally enjoyable short story and im waiting for the next work of this author. And also big thanks for the translating group for translating it :)

I think the 'witch' was the twins' mother who travelled around as in previous chapter, her ears was more pointy (she doesn't seem human) and she seems to be the only one looking for them. When they got to the 'water village', concidently, drought started to happen. People began to mistrust the twins and the mother, attracting merchants to the area.

What's confirm is that the woman met them first before the merchant as they look younger. I can also guesd that the twins were already immortal before the merchant. It may be due to what their bloodline.

And I believe that the 'witch' was kind to began with since the twins always seem reminded of her when someone shows an action of kindness.

My theory is that one of the Merchants, 'hero', found the twins and told them about bread. I think he purposely place poison in it and gave it to them who would give it to the 'witch' as children would to let their mother see something first, causing the mother to die.

This would mean the so-called villain, 'Witch', becomes the hero for dying for them and the hero, 'merchant', becomes the villain for attempting to kill the merchant and killed the witch. And how much they want to be the so-called villain unlike the merchant.

I don't think the merchant die of poison personally as poison will only cause people to die of high fevering, not bleeding. In previous few chapters, the man who got poison by twigs didn't cough blood so I am guessing the merchant dies due to the twins killing or some accident happen to him while he went to search for them as he felt gulity of killing the mother for the sake of fame.

As the twins' form of revenge, they licked some of his blood to become 'eternity'. I intepret it as, "You're gonna live forever with us, you can't die yet." They probably wanted to feed the same poison he gave their mother, to him inside them. Since their mother died due to it, they are sacrificing themselves to kill him in them the same way he did. This also associate with the death card, they are willing to die.

As such, the books with food mixing with poison etc written by one of them is them trying to find the same poison and recording it. They travelled around to find the poison.

I think they become bread makers as the merchant mention, "It's gonna be the most famous thing" and they are children with no knowledge of outside world things as they asked what was bread.

Midway, they found the child who was poisoned by twigs and gave a bread with their some blood in it to him. If it cures, it's not the same poison as the one that killed the mother.

All in all, they went back to the same village and began researching the surroundings. In the end, they may had found the poison and built their own coffin to let them stay with their mother, the creek.

However, this is just my theory so..

Users who are viewing this thread