Natsuki-kun wa Kyou mo Kirei - Vol. 1 Ch. 16 - Make me happy

@Cornonthekopp I guess that makes sense. But what I love about this manga is how it subverts lazy crossdressing tropes by applying them to more grounded/chill characters. Like how instead of resisting his attraction because "He's a man!!!" Fumiya is completely fine with Natsuki's gender. Or how Fumiya mentions going to the beach and Natsuki just rolls his eyes because crossdressing in a woman's swimsuit is impractical in real life. Even Natsuki's design is more grounded than a lot of crossdressing characters; he's very pretty in fem mode, but he's also got big hands, wider shoulders/neck, and has a bit of an adam's apple. He looks like a guy who's very good at crossdressing, not a girl.

In contrast to that nuance, the crowd of dudes joke felt like a lazy crossdressing trope played completely straight. You're right that the guys likely weren't serious, but there wasn't any dialogue to highlight that. Natsuki just mass rejects them and moves on. I'm not looking for them to be mean or anything dramatic, but having them be politely uncomfortable or something may have worked better. Or just don't focus on the crowd; focus on his friends, and have them be supportive.

I know I'm getting too hung up on a one-off joke, it just frustrated me since this manga is usually more clever :/

Dex-chan lover
@mirewitch no I get it, I also really love how honest this manga has been, and how it avoids a lot of the shitty tropes of crossdressing manga as well.

Users who are viewing this thread