Neko no Otera no Chion-san - Vol. 5 Ch. 38 - Love Gossip?!, The School Pool and Chion.

Aggregator gang
@FredFriendly
As I understood @mowqlin , the problem they brought up was that "you could only see her eyes and teeth at night" could be read as either:

"Her eyes and teeth were the only part of her you could see at night"

Or:

"You could only see her eyes and teeth at night" (as in you couldn't see them during the day)

And therefore it could be confusing to read. So they suggested:

"You could see only her eyes and teeth at night"

I still prefer the phrasing in the text because although it can be read both ways it sounds more natural.

I would almost always say and hear "you could only see" so "you could see only" sounds a little stiff and awkward, despite being equally correct. I would prefer the translation to sound natural over being completely grammatically clear.

Still, I thought that the way to have the best of both worlds would be to move the "at night" to the beginning, therefore removing the ambiguity, but retaining the (imo) natural sound.

So instead of:

"You can only see her eyes and teeth at night"

I suggested:

"At night, you could only see her eyes and teeth"

You contribution here was completely correct actually, I think we accidentally threw you off with our vagueness on what we actually talking about haha. You were far more clear by comparison

Group Leader
bro this is all super cute and wholesome but i cant get over the fact that theyre cousins

Aggregator gang
@Faulheit Evidently cousin-marriage isn't historically rare in Japan. For example, according to this study, in 1986 1.6% of Japanese marriages were between first cousins and 3.9% were consanguineous. I didn't have much luck (or spend much time looking into it, honestly) finding contemporary numbers, though it's apparently less common than it was in the past, but still more common than in other east-Asian or western countries. One bit of trivia: former Japanese prime minister Naoto Kan is married to his first cousin.

I think a lot of it has to do with cultural norms and how we view the relationship. Genetically, there's not much risk of birth defects, but for those of us who grew up in cultures where it's not tolerated, there's definitely an "ick"-factor. I can't imagine seeing any of my cousins as anything other than close family.

Users who are viewing this thread