Neko no Otera no Chion-san - Vol. 7 Ch. 57 - Meteor Shower and Meditative Chion

Dex-chan lover
I forgot I wasn't reading Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia for a moment lol

maybe we'll get a cameo from the cast?

@Kaduufrrj which university you go to is basically more important than what you study in Japan

@beperov Japan has the highest level of adult adoption in the world, because men are still expected to inherit a business

Double-page supporter
@Faulheit very possible she wants to go to Tokyo because she assumes Gen will go to college there too, but also being from a small town she might just want to get out of the small town, pretty common thing.

Dex-chan lover
@tanooki Adult adoption works differently in Asian cultures. Its primary purpose is usually not to perpetuate the family business but the family name because women can't pass on the name. Because the intent is to perpetuate the family name a marriage would be preferred over adoption in a business setting because the Japanese are surprisingly more open to female leadership in business. Japan, like China and Korea, has a system where men can marry into their wives' household instead of the other way around. They then take on the wife's family name. The husband would then be given a limited role in the business with the understanding that the wife would inherit and continue the business. Many zaibatsu still do this. This was what we readers were worried about last time. Adoption is a last resort for families who know that their daughters would marry out of the family, or have had that happen already. That's why grandma's actions are unusual.

In the context of the story Chion also has the option of becoming a female priest, a tradition Japan has had since 590CE, so there is no need for adoption just to continue the temple. Grandma just wants her to be free.

Dex-chan lover
@Tcof she's 18 in USA years. In Japan, they are age one on the birth date instead of age 0 like in the USA.

19 in Japanese age. And she will be 20 Japanese age and 19 USA age soon. Ok. I thought she was older lol. So she's 18 USA age ok ok.

This chapter sure reminds me of my quarter life crisis that I experienced back when I was still 22...

Dex-chan lover
Ok, Hiruma wants to go to Tokyo, I think that’s gotta be the deciding point for the successful ship. This whole manga is pointing to Gen not wanting to go back to Tokyo or rather Gen wanting to stay in the countryside. I doubt he and Hiruma will get together anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread