Did I Seriously Just Get Reincarnated as My Gag Character?! - Vol. 4 Ch. 19.5

Dex-chan lover
Caught up to the raws. Equal parts great and awful news. Thanks for translating.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks so much for the translations! I hate having to wait a month, but its 10x better than waiting 8 again. See you guys next chapter!

Dex-chan lover
He never died?

That is some bad writing to not make the Demon Princess appear evil (even though she has a very justified reason)
She planned to kill ever human in that village and rage war on humans.
What was her plan if it was all empty threats?

Dex-chan lover
Having read the official english on J-novel. The manga has changed a number of things, the fire dragon didn't die in the light novel, but this takes the cake. The scout ninja dude died in the LN. Wonder why they did this in the manga. Thanks for all the chapters!
Oh my

Dex-chan lover
would have been better if she just killed the guy. Not a fan of media having "wars" where no one dies, not really a war then is it
I would argue this wasn't a War this was a Tantrum, especially after the flashback sequence
Such a ridiculous retcon.
She literally gathered up all the monsters in the forest and sent them on the warpath toward the nearest human settlement. An action that, barring the interference of some truly absurd deus ex machina (like MC), would absolutely result in many, many human casualties. Yet we're expected to believe that she wasn't willing to kill the guy she found snooping around?
Even if we accept that as true, what was her plan exactly? After the horde of monsters razed his city to the ground, she would let him out of the cage and say "Now that we have formed an irreconcilable death grudge, cya around lolol"
wait when you say retcon are you saying this was altered from the Novel or do you mean retcon as it is properly used where we are given more information we were not aware of in the first place?
I cannot believe we are getting pulled with the whole "She wasn't really a bad guy" she clearly talked to the beheaded head as if it was a person. This reeks of either editor or author change of heart and wanting to make Demon Princess not a badman.... but like you said she still sent a massive army to the town and nearly killed many people and defo injured all of them.

This is some peak bad writing. This notches down my score by quite a bit as I liked this series but if we are gonna get retcons like this this early then I'll believe in no stakes cause it'll all get changed. I'd originally rate this series like a 8/10, now its a 3/10.
I don't know I have seen far worst writing this feels like it's still leading up I mean during all that Bullshit of the Stampede didn't we also get the dragon showing up Nacht more or less confirming she is much more OP than the dragons, then after that, we have the Ninjas who may or may not show up later their Master who if you think about it is better for if we need some kinda spy stuff later done, the Stampede the Second Dragon and finally
The Speculation on Aisha's Mother who is probably important for some reason Later
oh also this is in the Young Girls category of storytelling Young Girls don't actually like Shonen troupes do they?

Having read the official english on J-novel. The manga has changed a number of things, the fire dragon didn't die in the light novel, but this takes the cake. The scout ninja dude died in the LN. Wonder why they did this in the manga. Thanks for all the chapters!
why the hell would they pull this in the manga though, why not just have the scout not die in the first place. all they had to do was not show his head... ugh... so easy to make the story so much better but this reeks so much of bad writing and fake tension.

prolly dropping this unless it picks up soon

Dex-chan lover
I would argue this wasn't a War this was a Tantrum, especially after the flashback sequence

wait when you say retcon are you saying this was altered from the Novel or do you mean retcon as it is properly used where we are given more information we were not aware of in the first place?

I don't know I have seen far worst writing this feels like it's still leading up I mean during all that Bullshit of the Stampede didn't we also get the dragon showing up Nacht more or less confirming she is much more OP than the dragons, then after that, we have the Ninjas who may or may not show up later their Master who if you think about it is better for if we need some kinda spy stuff later done, the Stampede the Second Dragon and finally
The Speculation on Aisha's Mother who is probably important for some reason Later
oh also this is in the Young Girls category of storytelling Young Girls don't actually like Shonen troupes do they?
From what other readers of the novel said though Oldman did infact die, it's clearly a retcon change to make it less dark and make demon gurl more likable. I'm guessing Editor most likely made that choice.

why the hell would they pull this in the manga though, why not just have the scout not die in the first place. all they had to do was not show his head... ugh... so easy to make the story so much better but this reeks so much of bad writing and fake tension.

prolly dropping this unless it picks up soon
This here is how I would have written it if I wanted to make it a fake out. At least then you can go "Oh the kids never saw him die and he was just in a jail the whole time attempting to break out".

Aggregator gang
Well that explains everything, if they were going to change the novel, they should have done it sooner. She was literally resolved to do this, to start this war because of what the humans did to her & her father. There was no point in making this change, all it does is make her actions seem completely illogical, breaks suspension of disbelief and angers the reader. Did they not think that characters who have done bad things can't regret what they've done and seek redemption?

Did the dragon have any significance to the plot at all in the story after this point? Because if they do, I can smell another asspull coming on in the near future where it's revealed that the dragon never died.

Aggregator gang
Yeah... there was no need to retcon the scout kill like that. The humans invaded and annihilated the demons in an unjustified war against then, with the hero apparently being a traitorous bastard against the demon king. She had all the reasons to be really mad in rage and wage a war against humanity, even if she herself would never result into killing someone in any other situation. Would be much more meaningful if she was full of sorrow and regret after witnessing Natch's forgiveness and basically being "I've fucked up, didn't I?"

Dex-chan lover
I dont really like how the dragon got completely erased from existence, dude was just doing his job. Also the fake head is a pretty bad retcon imo

Dex-chan lover
Well that explains everything, if they were going to change the novel, they should have done it sooner. She was literally resolved to do this, to start this war because of what the humans did to her & her father. There was no point in making this change, all it does is make her actions seem completely illogical, breaks suspension of disbelief and angers the reader. Did they not think that characters who have done bad things can't regret what they've done and seek redemption?

Did the dragon have any significance to the plot at all in the story after this point? Because if they do, I can smell another asspull coming on in the near future where it's revealed that the dragon never died.
The red dragon does have significance in the next arc, according to the novel. He had bestowed power on a person, and because the dragon got beat up at the same time the bestowed person was fighting, their power also weakened and they became a slave. Not sure how the manga will play out as the power did come back after the red dragon went off to recover.

Dex-chan lover
This makes no sense. The other scouts ran away as soon as their master told them to, they would have never seen her talking to the fake head; not to mention we clearly saw her bloodied sword after slicing the dude.

EDIT: Oh and I just had to add, because it drove me mad when I realised this; so did they have the head of some unknown scout pre-prepared? Where'd she pull it from so quickly to apparently trick the other scouts into believing that killed someone? It's so incredibly dumb. :qq:

I hate peace loving misunderstood demons more than generic evil ones at this point
Hell, I just hate the fact that it's always the humans that are so very clearly evil in a unified way. Why can't it be both sides that effed up, and not just humans?

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
From what other readers of the novel said though Oldman did infact die

What? No, he lives in the novel, too.

Sakura looked curiously over at her mistress, who had suddenly cut herself off. She was glancing down and to the side. “My lady,” she began, “do you suppose it’s for the same reason that you let that man go?”

“D-Don’t be absurd! That was completely different! I just thought it would be a shame for such a brave man to—no, what I mean is, wimps like that aren’t worth killing! Yeah!”

Otonashi, Kanade. Did I Seriously Just Get Reincarnated as My Gag Character?! Volume 1 (pp. 240-241). J-Novel Club. Kindle Edition.

I think the mangaka just got over-enthusiastic and drew a severed head into the first scene, then had to quickly backtrack when they realized the person actually lived.

The point is supposed to be that the demon kid is literally a kid and as much as she wants revenge on the humans doesn't have the stomach to do it herself, so she spares the people she encounters directly while sending an army of bloodthirsty monsters out to do it for her.

Of course, in the novel the local adventurers are perfectly capable of defeating her army too. They take down Maneater without an issue and without needing Aisha to help. Aisha mainly just helps with an AOE attack to take down the small fry, gets into a "We're both afraid of each other" staring match with a griffon, then gets blindsided by the dragon.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Look how long it took for someone to come in with facts and a source. An entire year.

Proof that the internet, as wide and full of brilliant minds as it is, can still be a den of misinformation.

Users who are viewing this thread