New category suggestion - Childcare

Could the searchable category of childcare manga be added? I love the childcare genre but I can't easily search it with Mangadex.

Upvote 8
Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
sounds fair, considering that all loli and shota tags are related to lewd things most of the time
That's the intended use of the tag, as a "child" tag is not particularly useful and "childcare" is distinct from both of these.

Staff
Super Moderator
People want to filter out lolis and shotas or look for them but people generally aren't bothered by the presence of lackthereof of a child.
Ah sorry, I wrote it in a way that you understood it like this.
I meant it as "there could be a single tag for it, but we have a male kid and female kid tag", which is cursed. But this isn't at the level of Conspicuous white fluid on page 26, so it's fine I guess.

Power Uploader
I’m the opposite of OP, not a fan of pregnancy/those baby isekai/raising children stories so would be nice to have a tag to filter out

People want to filter out lolis and shotas or look for them but people generally aren't bothered by the presence of lackthereof of a child.
This makes me think of a reference/clip, particularly as you bolded the word :D
  • Child
  • rapist
- "There's only one thing worse than a rapist - a __"

As for the tag, I think it's a good idea. Maybe not the proposed name, but it is definitely a subgenre with some population and interest. (Though I am unsure where story's like the 's-ranked daughter' and '4 orphans moved out into a city and love their adoptive father romantically' would place in relation to it, as they are very adjacent but not quite there... Well, maybe not the latter once you gotten 2 chapters in, but before then kinda)
As for alternative names, I used to call it rearing or grooming before (the latter because I know it annoys ppl while still being entirely technically correct - the best kind of correct), but then I saw a korean manwha (transmigrators privilege?) that explained it's an already established genre named "romfam" (for "romance family", interestingly enough not referring to incest according to that manwha, despite it's name entirely suggesting such).
Searching for it on google before never netted me any results, so might just be the translator doing a real poor job at translating a korean 'name' (likely directly translated)... But in that case I am just even more hyped to use that name, because it's so incorrect because someone erred :p So either way I would nominate that name for the genre: "romfam".

edit: went back and checked, apparently it was "rofan" for "romance fantasy". Making rofam even more incorrect (Because I were incorrect when spelling it + not only is rofan not even including family in title despite being about childcare, it's suggesting there is regular romance in the fantasy story despite it not being about romance!), and thus even better of a candidate!
Technically the full name described in the manwha was "rofan childcare", but at times it was abbreviated to rofan, and childcare is a mouthful.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I was literally just about to post a suggestion for a "parenting" tag when I saw this thread. While "parenting" does create the impression it's meant to be limited to parent-child, I see it as more focused on the [character]-child relationship rather than the practical aspects of "childcare"

Regardless of what term is ultimately used, I strongly advocate for a tag like this since the default slice-o'-life tag is just too broad to help look for it

Dex-chan lover
I also think this would be a great addition, child care / raising a kid manga are some of my tops. A SFW tag for this would be amazing.

Unrelated but,
If anyone’s into this genre and also looking for a good game check out “Volcano Princess” it’s a 10/10 raising sim.

Users who are viewing this thread