NEW GAME! - Vol. 8 Ch. 82

"Just pick one of them, i'm sure you'll make a good decision"
This is even more maddening when you consider that the person that's being said to has literally no experience with this and is a first time in this position. What faith can you really have in her making a good decision? And Hazuki (who said it) was forced on the team as an advisor specifically to make sure Hajime doesn't make any bad decisions in her inexperience.

This sole chapter is such a mess that the author basically spends the entire rest of the arc trying to clean up the holes it left. (semi-nonspecific spoilers)
"Oh, right, Christina should have had some objections. Let's do that after the fact and then never satisfactorily resolve it!"
"It's kind of a pity to do that to Yun after building her up so much. Lets give her a consolation prize!"
"Better show Aoba is still the more experienced and skilled one."
"Actually, that's still kind of a pity to Aoba. Let's give her a consolation prize, too."
"You know what? Let's go on to claim that a major part of the game's design working well is due to Aoba's work, completely trivializing all the work we've shown Momiji struggling through."

But really, the worst part of this entire arc is the B plot toward the end (extremely specific spoilers)
Where Hotaru suddenly decides she wants to join the game industry, too, and ends up joining the same company as Yagami (and even living in the same room) completely by accident, not even knowing who Yagami is. And then, despite having no work experience or even knowing how to use the company's software ends up in charge of a major part of the company's project, gets no training, and entirely through self-study manages to impress not only the veterans at the company but also to rival Yagami, the one who was recognized as having a genius-level of skill when she first started working and now has years of work experience on top of that.

Because what the fuck?

Yun absolutely got robbed. I don't know what the author was thinking when giving them these designs and then have Momiji winning. And the worst part of all is to let Hajime alone, who was without experience in this decide who would win when there are a bunch of veterans and team leaders there?

This is the most frustrated I've felt reading this series.

Fed-Kun's army
Really disappointed with how this arc come to a close. Leaving the important decision to someone with little experience? Really?? Yeah, i know it's her game and she have the right to do so. But still, in gaming industry with fierce competition, decision like this should be discussed with everyone involved. Well... in the end, i just glad this arc ended, hoping forward for a more interesting plot.

I understand what the author was going for. Yun never wanted to step up and put herself out there like Aoba did in the past, so she was most likely going to lose because she can't suddenly win at something she's never really fully participated in. It all would've made a lot more sense if Yun's designs were rough or clearly at a different level compared to Aoba's and Momo's, but they were noticeably better. They had context and fully realized designs in regards to the game itself, and they still went with Momo. A decision which just seems like a drama move or yet another character maturity arc for Aoba who already learned this exact same thing with Yagami during PECO.

I just don't know.

I initially shared the opinion that Yun had the best design, but after going back and looking through them all one more time, it's really just the heavy stylization that makes her's stand out. Although Momo/Aoba's designs are more generic, that doesn't necessarily make them less appealing.

Yun: urban, stylized
Momo: generic, cool
Aoba: cute

Based purely on the art, taking into account individual preferences, I don't particularly blame Hajime for her choice.

On a plot level, Momo's lack of experience does seem somewhat problematic. I'm willing to see where the story goes with that for now.

@TheSmugMessiah The second one sounds exaggerated for effect, doesn't it? No, it happens exactly like that, and it is played completely straight. I thought the beginning part was an absurd enough coincidence, which bothered me, but I was ready to accept it and see where it was going. Then it turns into something actively bad. And it's not over yet, so it may yet still get worse.

Kam

Fed-Kun's army
We all know that Yun moved to Nintendo after this.

Group Leader
Honestly, I can see why Hajime would have picked the ones that look coolest and most armored, considering she's a superhero fan.

Also, seeing things from the outside: It will probably make for a more interesting story, since we will now get to see how Moo Momo deals with being a first-time lead designer.

Fed-Kun's army
@mogu
*looking at the second spoiler*

........wat? ._.

No, I can completely understand that
Hotaru is a REAL prodigy even compared to Yagami, but isn't she a traditional artist who prefers not to work with a digital medium? Also, her joining the game industry and living with Yagami not knowing who she is (when Aoba, her best friend, almost idolized Yagami and most certainly bragged about working with her multiple times)... just what the actual f...? O_x

Man, I was really impressed by how New Game! took advantage of its setting by going down the drama route with the Aoba vs Kou competition arc but now the current conflicts are a bit too contrived.

I'd rather have no drama than illogical drama.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly Yun's Designs were better than either and i have no idea why she didn't get picked other than for cheap drama stuff.

Yun should've won.

This kind of decision making shouldn't have happened. Butttttt, in the real world it DOES happen, usually in a newer teams.
But they aren't a new / indie studio, so I won't defend Rin's & Hozuki's silence and putting all the burden on Hajime.

I still like the manga, so I'll try to enjoy whatever the author puts out next.

Well, RIP New Game for me. I discovered the series with the anime a few years ago, and loved the character development and the "how it's done in the world of (moe-ified) adults", kinda like Shirobako but more focused on moe than facts. It was fun seeing Aoba earning experience in a company where drama was almost inexistant or has no impact (except when the rivalry between Aoba and her mentor, but it was something we could not escape from the start), gags were cools, characters interesting etc etc ...

S2 was a good continuation of the base settings and was great too.

But now, well, it's not even a comedy 4-koma, it's just competing for the sake of competing, drama because Momo has to surpass Aoba for some obscure reason, and the direction the game development is going to is really awkward. I understand that Hajime has to get the spotlight too, but this is way too random.
Plus, @mogu 's hints aren't that heartening on he future of the story.

I know that no one cares about someone dropping a series, but idk, felt like writing this.

Group Leader
Yikes, aspiring moe creators see below and take note never to pit your characters against one another.

Users who are viewing this thread