Nihonkoku Shoukan - Vol. 3 Ch. 15 - To The Royal Palace

Wow, so many people pointing out that HEAT round. But yeah, it does stand out. And the explosion is clearly HE, so that must have been a naming mistake. Then again, the round itself looks more like the HEAT...

Dex-chan lover
Insurgents... Such a strange word to choose to translate it to in a foreign country...

@raidanzoup Probably, or the manga will turn it toward a sniper team having taken out the hostage holders.

@nmbpjnwwbt

And the explosion is clearly HE

You can clearly see the projectile is an M830 HEAT round. People mistakenly think it somehow only puts a tiny hole in things, but that's specifically against tank armor. They blow up quite energetically and are often used to blow up small houses and structures, If you're talking about the size of the explosion, not even a 120mm HE round with 3.2kg of filler should have that scale of damage. That's more like a Mark 81 (96lbs of filler) or Mark82 (192lbs) bomb or even bigger.

@Wolvenworks

i wonder how much damage a mage can do to a Type 90 MBT?

Going by the reactions LN characters give:
if he used magic: superficial damage.
If he threw himself into the treads: He may cause the tank to throw a tread.
Either way would be quite suicidal.

@rrolo1
That was not a stealthy mission :p
That said, if the objective was to capture the enemy palace, the whole action on the outside was just a very expensive and showy smoke screen. I can understand why they did this ( to show what happens to who messes up with Japan or their interests ) , but it seeems ... excessive.

@Simpleton
Tanks work poorly in cities,

The gate-breaching was the diversionary attack to get all the troops to that side of the keep (and neutralize them) while the SF troopers rappel down inside the actual palace to capture the king.

@zetsuravez

heat round for a wooden gate?... HE is more than enough for breaching...

That would mean the tank would have to carry a 3rd type of munitions for its main gun. HE has not been a thing on tanks since WWII. You get specialized vehicles to carry the specialized munitions types, like a mobile howitzer to carry the HE. MBTs carry sabot or HEAT.

@Gambio

I'm surprised the evil empire, didn't at least attempt to send over some diplomats to smooth things over after all this.

They're not even the "evil empire" they're a smallish kingdom with big ambitions
supported by an "evil empire which you'll see a few chapters down the road.

Dex-chan lover
@SlurpNoodle so i checked about modern tank ammo and it seems that you are right... HEAT round have multi purposed that uses for light targets and bunkers... thanks for informing me this...

Dex-chan lover
@SlurpNoodle "Tanks work poorly in cities" was a reply to the suggestion the tanks should just have rolled in, rather than using special forces. I'm quite fine with them not 'rolling in' thank you XD

And HE is still in production for 120 mm smoothbore (Like Rheinmetall HE DM 11), for such missions when you can't really expect to meet other MBT, making a HE/HEAT-FS loadout just fine. (As opposed to a tank battle loadout of APFSDS/HEAT-FS

And I'm pretty sure their recon told them enough of what to expect..
(Else they shoulda called in a missile or missile carrier to blow up the gate, since HEAT still ain't particularly good for it, unless they're using a lot of it.)

@Simpleton

My bad, I didn't catch up to the full extent of that convo until just now.

120mm HE would have been only marginally more effective than HEAT. 1.5kg of explosive filler in HEAT vs 3.2kg in HE. That doorway is at least 5 meters wide and probably 10 meters tall. You'd need a lot of HE to make the stone work look like that. Something more on the scale of an air-dropped bomb rather than a tank round, even if it was HE.

Dex-chan lover
@SlurpNoodle Yea, tbh I'm thinking they did shoot a lot more than just the one shot. A HE (drawn as HEAT, but I'm still thinking that's wrong and stupid ;) on the gate, then probably a mix on the tower above the gate (since there's usually a guardroom with murderholes right above a gate, that counts as confined space and HEAT can actually be useful - and since structural integrity of the bricklaying might be bad at handling interior explosions, it could actually cause a collapse as shown later. And if not enough, then a couple more HE for good measure.)

(But in a real plan they might have preferred to use some kind of guided missile, whether remote operated or locally guided.)

@Simpleton

(But in a real plan they might have preferred to use some kind of guided missile, whether remote operated or locally guided.)

Or a ground-attack aircraft with a laser guided bomb, or even a dumb-bomb if they want to save the more expensive munitions for something that may require it later.
Like for the Gra Valka Empire.

If they're limited to no air support, use those 155mm howitzers languishing behind the tanks from 2 chapters ago. The M107 standard HE round they fire has almostt 7kg of explosive fiiller.

why did'nt they use the howitzers HE round? and how does a HEAT round packs that much energy like an HE round?

SFy1FyQ.jpg

Prbkm2e.jpg

These wizard faces are killing me.

Fed-Kun's army
@entity_101 right... I forgot boit that...

@Simpleton poorly or not they have no means of destroying the tank their prized wyvers fire breath couldnt damage a chopper also i think there would be enough explosive force in that heat round to bust down the wooden gate while most of the energy is directed into a single point a decent amount of energy is still going out ward and I think more than enough to destroy that wooden gate

Aggregator gang
Who the fuck uses a HESH round on a wooden door? I dunno if a wooden door would slow a HESH round down enough to activate it.

Users who are viewing this thread