No Home - Ch. 236 - Haejoon Goh's Home (2)

Dex-chan lover
I wonder whether that's all or there is something more sinister to this whole situation

Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Haejoon: looks happy, even Eunyung comments on it
Wanan: Let me change that real quick

i like to think Eunyung stood behind them the entire time xD
I want to believe that his father is an okay person.

We saw a bit of his mother's personality. Obstinate even towards her own young child and constantly refusing to even empathize with how Haejoon felt when he was growing up. I could see her doing exactly what the father said, cutting off all ties with him and never letting him see Haejoon. Hell, even Haejoon's flashback to the amusement park could fit into her personality.

Anyways, I genuinely hope he is a good person. He even tries to say it was all his fault, showing a level of concern for his son. I could see it also falling into a cliche of him being bad, but we'll see.

Dex-chan lover
I'm calling it: the father is nice at first but will ask Haejoon for money to help pay off the debts.

Fed-Kun's army
This shocked me so much, i never thought we'd see Haejoon's dad. And he actually looks like him!! unlike Eunyung's parents....

also i do not like Haejoon's dad. Like not ONE birthday letter?? blaming her taking Haejoon?? DEBT??? hell no

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I could see her doing exactly what the father said, cutting off all ties with him and never letting him see Haejoon.
My first reaction was to automatically assume he has some ulterior motives, as that's typically what happens in these situations.
But I started to think about how Haejoon's mom has been portrayed, and his story lines up pretty well with her personality. It also doesnt seem like he completely hates/blames her.

I'm still a bit sus because it shouldn't have taken him this long to reach out. She cut him off, yes but (to me) it seems as if he still had avenues to reach her. But also where was he when she died? How was the court/government/whoever able to find his uncle but not his father? Did he decline to take care of Haejoon? I have no idea how the system works in Korea, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was missing something. Still, I do hope he is genuine.

Dex-chan lover
I'm calling it: the father is nice at first but will ask Haejoon for money to help pay off the debts.
I mean, what you said is definitely possible, but do you think it would end like that? Remember that this is...close to? Is the actual? Last arc. We're apparently really near to the end.

This shocked me so much, i never thought we'd see Haejoon's dad. And he actually looks like him!! unlike Eunyung's parents....

also i do not like Haejoon's dad. Like not ONE birthday letter?? blaming her taking Haejoon?? DEBT??? hell no

No. How? How could he even send a birthday letter? Look at his words. "your mother cut off contact and left"

How would he have sent any birthday letters or anything at all?

My first reaction was to automatically assume he has some ulterior motives, as that's typically what happens in these situations.
But I started to think about how Haejoon's mom has been portrayed, and his story lines up pretty well with her personality. It also doesnt seem like he completely hates/blames her.

I'm still a bit sus because it shouldn't have taken him this long to reach out. She cut him off, yes but (to me) it seems as if he still had avenues to reach her. But also where was he when she died? How was the court/government/whoever able to find his uncle but not his father? Did he decline to take care of Haejoon? I have no idea how the system works in Korea, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was missing something. Still, I do hope he is genuine.
I'm hinting at this in my other statements, but I'm ultimately reading this in light of 1) the title of this arc, that being Haejoon's home, and 2) the fact(?) that this series is ending soon. In that light, I don't think we would see a super sad ending. That doesn't really seem like a thing this author is going for. Like, the author probably isn't going to kill off all the cast of children and make them ghosts that only Haejoon can see. For the same reasons, I don't think that the author would make this super sad with his father.

I am doubtful of that, of your sus. So, I am very, very, excessively lightly familiar with the system in multiple different countries, and South Korea is NOT one I've dealt with specifically. As such, I am more than happy to be told I'm wrong on this, but I'll give it a shot.

In a lot of countries/every one that I've dealt with, you 1) look at the child's age, and 2) the ready availability of relatives, with an eye to keep the child and family out of the legal system if possible. To elaborate on that, you generally avoid bringing the child to court and/or having a long, drawn-out legal procedure if at all possible.

So here, Haejoon was starting off in his second year of high-school when the series began, so he would have been 17-ish by everyone's age-keeping system except South Korea's (they recently changed their laws, so he would be considered 17 there too; this is a tangent and has no importance, but I just wanted to type it). So a fairly old child, potentially able to be independent. Then his uncle was ready and willing to step up...immediately?

With all that said, I could totally see the legal system being willing to just go with it. Heck, maybe that's how his father got notice in the first place, when the government reached out to him. Then it took a year for him to...I don't know. Grieve the death of his ex-wife and bring himself to meet Haejoon. Doesn't sound unreasonable when I write it like that, but again, I could be completely wrong.

Fed-Kun's army

No. How? How could he even send a birthday letter? Look at his words. "your mother cut off contact and left"

How would he have sent any birthday letters or anything at all?
he got in contact with his uncle,
plus it's been awhile since Haejoon's mother has passed and he's only showing up now, he didnt even come to the funeral

so i still dont like him lol

Dex-chan lover
he got in contact with his uncle,
plus it's been awhile since Haejoon's mother has passed and he's only showing up now, he didnt even come to the funeral

so i still dont like him lol
I mean, you're free to not like him. I don't care.

But you didn't even really try to answer the question of how.

The mother's funeral was probably right after the mother's death. That's generally how those things work. So it makes sense that the father wouldn't have known about it or shown up to it. But apparently that's not good enough and you say "he didn't EVEN come to the funeral"?

Like, sure, if you don't like him, whatever. I don't have a problem with you questioning how it's been a while and he only showed up now. But you're kind of reaching with the funeral issue.

Fed-Kun's army
I mean, you're free to not like him. I don't care.

But you didn't even really try to answer the question of how.

The mother's funeral was probably right after the mother's death. That's generally how those things work. So it makes sense that the father wouldn't have known about it or shown up to it. But apparently that's not good enough and you say "he didn't EVEN come to the funeral"?

Like, sure, if you don't like him, whatever. I don't have a problem with you questioning how it's been a while and he only showed up now. But you're kind of reaching with the funeral issue.
its been about a year since Haejoon's mother passed. If it wasn't for his uncle, Haejoon would've been screwed over by now. I can forgive not coming to the funeral if it was immediately after her passing but the time he spent not seeing Haejoon is unacceptable. He already said he was waiting for "a point where he could breathe" meanwhile Haejoon was suffering by his lonesome. Like Haejoon is a kid and his father is a grown man yet he didn't bother to check up on him at all. I think thats a pretty valid reason not to like the guy

Dex-chan lover
its been about a year since Haejoon's mother passed. If it wasn't for his uncle, Haejoon would've been screwed over by now. I can forgive not coming to the funeral if it was immediately after her passing but the time he spent not seeing Haejoon is unacceptable. He already said he was waiting for "a point where he could breathe" meanwhile Haejoon was suffering by his lonesome. Like Haejoon is a kid and his father is a grown man yet he didn't bother to check up on him at all. I think thats a pretty valid reason not to like the guy
And those are valid criticisms. I literally said that in my previous post. I am not disagreeing with you on that part.

I did very clearly disagree on the funeral part, but I was very clear about the rest.

I did separately, in previous comments, give possibilities for the year-long absence after the mother's passing. Maybe he found out about the mother's death by government notification, and by that point, Haejoon was with his uncle. Let's say that's maybe one or two months. That's a reasonable time frame. He could've also been told that Haejoon lived in a dorm at school, so there would've been no point for him to appear and destabilize Haejoon's life, especially if he was in debt. Maybe he couldn't even travel because he couldn't afford to with his debt. Even a bus ticket to another city can be too much for the poor. It's also possible that he was in contact with the uncle shortly after the mother's passing, and the uncle told him not to come or contact Haejoon, possibly in respect of his mother's wishes.

Or maybe I'm completely making things up and the father is bad news, just as you and some other people fear. I acknowledge that possibility.

My only point about your post was that the funeral comment seemed unfair. And that's in line with how it was also unfair for you to expect him to send birthday cards when the mother had cut off all contact with him. The rest was generally fine.

Fed-Kun's army
And those are valid criticisms. I literally said that in my previous post. I am not disagreeing with you on that part.

I did very clearly disagree on the funeral part, but I was very clear about the rest.

I did separately, in previous comments, give possibilities for the year-long absence after the mother's passing. Maybe he found out about the mother's death by government notification, and by that point, Haejoon was with his uncle. Let's say that's maybe one or two months. That's a reasonable time frame. He could've also been told that Haejoon lived in a dorm at school, so there would've been no point for him to appear and destabilize Haejoon's life, especially if he was in debt. Maybe he couldn't even travel because he couldn't afford to with his debt. Even a bus ticket to another city can be too much for the poor. It's also possible that he was in contact with the uncle shortly after the mother's passing, and the uncle told him not to come or contact Haejoon, possibly in respect of his mother's wishes.

Or maybe I'm completely making things up and the father is bad news, just as you and some other people fear. I acknowledge that possibility.

My only point about your post was that the funeral comment seemed unfair. And that's in line with how it was also unfair for you to expect him to send birthday cards when the mother had cut off all contact with him. The rest was generally fine.
He hasn't been a father to Haejoon at all, its not unfair to say its crappy that he hasn't been there because it is crappy. Theres no good excuse to be a deadbeat father. I think its more unfair that Haejoon had to grow up without a father because he couldn't handle his issue with Haejoon's mom like an adult. He just ran away from his problems for 10+ years. Anything would've been better than 10 years of nothing, even if it was just one birthday letter and he couldnt even do that

Dex-chan lover
He hasn't been a father to Haejoon at all, its not unfair to say its crappy that he hasn't been there because it is crappy. Theres no good excuse to be a deadbeat father. I think its more unfair that Haejoon had to grow up without a father because he couldn't handle his issue with Haejoon's mom like an adult. He just ran away from his problems for 10+ years. Anything would've been better than 10 years of nothing, even if it was just one birthday letter and he couldnt even do that
Literally, mother prevented him from being there as a father.

You, there's no excuse. You fundamentally fail to read and continue to blame him just because you feel like it.

Again, if you want to blame him for the time AFTER he learned of the mother's death, then sure.

But you're not. You still can't even read.

You, "there's no good excuse to be a deadbeat father". This just fundamentally shows you refuse to read.

Again, tell me HOW. How could he send anything for Haejoon's birthday when the mother cut off all ties? Tell me how.

You can't because there isn't a way, and you are actually just complaining for no good reason. For explicitly bad reasons.

Before you reply, you need to tell me how. Literally the first question I asked you at the very beginning, and yet this many replies later, you still didn't even say anything. Unlike Haejoon's father, I am giving you an opportunity and yet you are still failing.

Users who are viewing this thread