Notifications on removed chapters/series

Double-page supporter
Sadly sometimes removal needs to happen. All the chapters of a series need removed for legal reasons (such as being licensed). A scanlation group rage quit MD and demands all their uploads removed - MD being a site that respects scanlator's wishes will honor that request. Whatever the reason... it happens sometimes. But how it currently happens is problematic.

Case in point - One Punch Man. It got removed, but random users like me have no idea and where ignorantly/obviously still waiting on the next chapter. I found out when someone uploaded an (unauthorized) chapter to it that there had in fact been 3 new (partial) chapters I knew nothing about. There we where, merely being patient for something that will never come, and why wouldn't we be? After all we have the series "followed".

This clearly could be done better. It would be too much to do a major site-wide announcement over pulled chapters/series. Do I care if Naruto gets pulled? No. I don't follow Naruto. But if a series I do follow gets pulled in part or whole, I do care. So that's another reason why site-wide announcements are overkill. On top of that, making a discussion invites pointless flame wars or whatever moderation issues. No need to turn this event into a staff headache each time.

But we do have a perfectly good notification system already - when someone does @<userName> in a discussion then <userName> gets an unobtrusive notification. So if a series we follow gets pulled in part or full, can we get a notification about it? We only need 1 notification per series regardless of how many chapters are getting removed though.

edit:
Scanlation groups may find this useful too - in the event another group pulls their content - they may see (holes) to fill in series they like.

Dex-chan lover
It would be too much to do a major site-wide announcement over pulled chapters/series.
LMAO there was a major sitewide announcement specifically regarding those pulled titles, including, yes, One Punch Man.
If a reader can't be bothered to read the information publicly provided in plain writing, that's not on MD staff.

The explanation is also literally there in the description in BOLD.

Dex-chan lover
I don't see something like this as a regular occurrence. Having a site-wide announcement for whenever it does happen is fine with me though, since it (hopefully) won't happen often.

Double-page supporter
@comeonnow0
And you see the title of that announcement? "MangaDex@Home" isn't a subject that interests me, so I (and probably plenty of others) didn't click it. Burying that unrelated info in an announcement about something else entirely isn't a great way to go about it. Do you normally read about things you don't care about in hopes that it will contain unrelated information that happens to be relevant to you? I doubt it somehow. Yet making an announcement just for OPM (and each of those other series) would also have been excessive.

My suggestion is simple, unobtrusive, and clearly better. So what's the complaint?

Dex-chan lover
@bk3k
making an announcement just for OPM (and each of those other series) would also have been excessive.
That's debatable. It might be excessive if series were getting pulled left and right, but sending an announcement out to all users concerning big titles being pulled is sufficient (and not overkill) in my opinion. Admittedly, maybe the announcement title should've indicated more clearly that it concerned pulled titles.
My suggestion is simple, unobtrusive, and clearly better. So what's the complaint?
^This definitely isn't the best way to go about presenting and defending your ideas.

Dex-chan lover
@bk3k

The explanation is also literally there in the description in BOLD.​

Sorry, let me zoom out a little.​

p6GuMuC.png

The current implementation is simple, unobtrusive, and clearly better. So what's the complaint?​

Fed-Kun's army
@bk3k nah, not reading announcements is one's own fault. They can choose to skip it, but complaining about it just because they judge by titles alone will not do anything good.

It literally said
MangaDexHome and other important updates.

While @bk3k 's arguments aren't the best, I am also of the opinion that there is a lack of visibility for chapters being removed from the site. If there was a notification or the upload of an 'empty' chapter so I can see the change in my follows I'm at least aware that something has changed. I also wasn't aware of One Punch man getting removed even though I did read the MangadexHome announcement (I didn't read it in it's entirety so the blame is on me).

I would also add an opt-in slider in the 'more' settings as probably not everyone desires these notifications.

I know this feature shouldn't get priority over other more important issues, as chapters getting deleted is basically the reverse of how this site is intended to operate. If there is however an easy way to implement this, I would be grateful to the developers.

Fed-Kun's army
@Mperor

If you want "dummy" chapters, turn on the unavailable chapters in the settings.

Uncommon events like MD themselves removing certain series are covered by the annoucements and I think it's enough. As for the group removing, I'm personally against it for I don't care, I don't want to have notifications say that "the following chapters are removed"
Though there's a reasonable suggestion, and it is discussed here: https://mangadex.org/thread/322495

Users who are viewing this thread