NY Times gifted article - "How Manga Was Translated for America"

Double-page supporter
NY Times July 14, 2023
How Manga was Translated for America
I am a subscriber, and so this is a 'gifted' link. No need to subscribe to access this article.

It goes over the way that manga had been adjusted to more closely match the conventions of a Western (American) audience, and the challenges that had to be overcome. Then discusses how the fans became more aware of Japanese conventions, allowing importers to leave more stylistic and cultural conventions alone. There are a lot of illustrations given as examples. For those familiar with manga, it may seem a bit bland, but I find such studies to be interesting.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the article!

Honestly I never understood paying for a newspaper since there's so much free news out there, and by browsing Reddit and r/news, r/worldnews, etc. I can usually stay up to date.

Dex-chan lover
I stay away from the Reddit rabbit hole. YouTube has more animated offerings.

Double-page supporter
Thanks for the article!

Honestly I never understood paying for a newspaper since there's so much free news out there, and by browsing Reddit and r/news, r/worldnews, etc. I can usually stay up to date.
In part I consider it a civic duty. I inherited a retirement account from my father in his passing, and I get to indulge in such luxuries.

Double-page supporter
Sorry for your loss; props for keeping proper journalism alive.

Also, 420 messages funny drug number hur hur hur. :facepalm:
Thank you. He was in home hospice, and we were able to visit while he was lucid.

That said, for those who can afford it, I highly recommend a burial service contract like Neptune Society. They took care of all the arrangements for us.

Dex-chan lover
Do they track the location where the "FREE" access is opened? Or they just give it out like "let's see if it reaches outside of the continent."
You need to make an account and link your school email to it, but I can also give out 10 gift articles a month.
Nothing funny about it. A left wing org, give free training material to another left wing org.
What? Nothing's stopping Fox News or the Wall Street Journal from doing the same

Users who are viewing this thread