Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou. - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - Tsumiki-san is a Werewolf

Group Leader
I'm not saying the translation is wrong (especially since I have no idea what the original says) but the lines "People but not people" really comes across as wrong. Maybe it's because I've already read all the existing chapters so I have attachments to the characters or because I just inherently see non-human species as "people" but it just comes off as...racist (I don't have a better word to describe it.)?
It is kind of hard to get across and also slightly speciesist? The text does say 'people' (but explicitly does not say 'human') , and then 'but not'. It IS alienating.

It helps to realize just how hostile Japan is to anyone not Japanese. If you're a visitor it's fine, they love you, I've been there for months, everybody loved me as the gaijin who can party. But if you're Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese or African trying to live and work there it's entirely different. The genjin would technically be Japanese, but are also not Real Japanese as in people who have gone through our society's rituals for two thousand years.

So yes, the alienation is completely real. People living in Japan who are not Real Japanese OMG. It is racist. But after that I think this series is trying to say that we can still all get along. And I'm also kind of glad that actually came through in the translation!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Three of the best groups on this site, teaming up on one of the best mangas? Is it Christmas already? Thanks a lot for the great work as always.

Dex-chan lover
good thing MD made forum just for this vause to be sure if its april fools or not

Dex-chan lover
I saw both Church of Potetto and Sho Habby aand thought "y'know what, fine I'll take the bait and see what the april fool is". Glad to know it's just a rework of the 1st eight chapters

Dex-chan lover
So yes, the alienation is completely real. People living in Japan who are not Real Japanese OMG. It is racist. But after that I think this series is trying to say that we can still all get along. And I'm also kind of glad that actually came through in the translation!
Many of these things come from a time where Japan had a caste system, Japan has still an ingrained concept of purity, not just racial but also in role.

The burakumin are descendants of castes like the eta, workers of what sintoism defines as impure jobs (morgue, meat processing, tanning and other jobs related to death) and himin (non human), which were the poor and the criminals. These people are still ostracized 150 years after the abolition of the japanese castes, they are relegated to ghettos, and until recently there were public lists of descendants of these castes that companies, universities and families used to ban their entrance. A lot has improved since then but they are still carrying the stigma of the impure. From things like this also come the trope of "fallen and disgraced" we see so much in mangas, the fired salaryman who lies to their family, not stepping out of your bounds...

I'm not saying this to make a "well, aktchually they are not racists but purists" bullshit argument some like to use to justify their shit. I said this to have a better understanding that it's not only a matter of a country that historically hasn't dealed with inmigration but also they still have an ingrained sentiment of caste even if they don't exist anymore.

The wolf village made me think of the burakumin, they look like they have been always there, hidden away but there is an effort of integration. And also we have awoos.

Dex-chan lover
So bright, it fucking burns. Best girl yutaka-kun. He's hot and totally my type, good shit great read. Very cute/10

Dex-chan lover
Like many others, came for the April Fool's, stayed for the revised translation :glee:

(although now that I think about it, a renaming of the ETC to Senga Appreciation Club would probably have been trick enough :worry: :lul:)

Dex-chan lover
Hey all, as mentioned before, we're rescanning chapters 1-8! We're doing this cause we wanted consistent release quality from beginning to end, and there were some translation errors that we wanted to correct.

Massive thanks to @stupid_chris & @mike_leehk from Sho Habby Scans and Church of Potteto for volunteering their help and doing better than I ever could. Hope you enjoy!
oooh ok, i was so confused thinking this was like a April fools chapter like some do but was reading it like "this is normal wheres the joke" so this makes sense now.

Dex-chan lover
DEATH TO VAMPIRES! GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

edit: it seems the MC is the one getting lynched instead roflmao

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This has the names of three known-reliable groups on it? Hot damn, this has to be good quality.

Dex-chan lover
461.gif

... why this chapter makes me feel like this?

Dex-chan lover
It's funny how the "hot guy" rival in shounen/seinen manga very often act like a completely unsociable douchenozzle to everyone (and not just the MC) in order to ensure that the MC and the readers won't have to feel genuinely threatened by them. I like how in Bokuyaba for comparison, the hot guy rival is actually socially competent and presents a real threat. I mean, I dunno, maybe this vampire guy was just a throwaway gag and isn't really a significant actor in the story, but still, this is very common.

Users who are viewing this thread