Ohayou Toka Oyasumi Toka - Vol. 4 Ch. 22 - The Witch

Double-page supporter
Following strangers... good luck the twins survived till this day.

Dex-chan lover
Yea this bitch can go fuck off, I don't need to hear her excuse for why she abandoned her kids.

Dex-chan lover
Oh god I forgot that the dad is a piece of shit, why did you have to remind me.

Double-page supporter
That edit on the credits page was great.

Contributor
"A mother stays a mother till death."

Well, it sounds like the completely reasonable solution is for the girls' mother to get into an oh-so-unfortunate accident (minus the isekai properties), so that way they no longer have to consider that woman to be their mother in any way.
I obviously don't actually condone arranging the death of their mother, but if she somehow turns out to even worse than the dad, all bets are off.

The "A mother is always a mother" saying can fuck the fuck off. Not only is it not true, but it shits on people that have raised their non biological children.

Dex-chan lover
I didn't expect the witch to be anything but a decent person. Actually it's not bad for the kids to make an acquaintance like that, as they don't seem to possess grandparents anywhere near, at least. Well, assuming they can continue living as they have, the lousy mother not taking them back by force. Who knows.

@starch12313 Damn dude, in no way does that phrase insinuate that people who raise non biological children are inferior to a real parent. The purpose of the quote is that when someone decides to have a child, they will always be a parent and should be in a position to look out for their child no matter what. If anything, it shits on parents that don't properly look after their children even when they're adults.

@jaydoodle

Agree wholeheartedly if its used that way. But I didnt use it that way. I used it from the position of a child. The saying from a childs pov is almost authoritative, its as if its saying that because you're my mom I have to respect you. Now as I said before I agree with what you said, but you have to look at it from a childs pov and understand what the meaning would mean to them because its totally different. It assumes authority without mentioning the fact that you have a responsibility to raise your child with love and care. So with this definition yes it would be disrespectful to non biological parents, because it says that a non biological parent could never be a "real" parent to their child. As Yondu said " He may have been your father boy, but he wasnt your daddy".

@starch12313
I think you misconstrued the meaning of the comment. She wasn’t trying to invalidate or discredit anyone, she was merely speaking from her own POV as a mother. She’s trying to say that, regardless of how much her child has grown or aged, she will never stop worrying about her because her child will always be her precious baby, as such she will always have the love and care of a mother for her child, like any decent mother. Even if said child may abandon or leave her, the fact that she’ll always be there for her child will remain unchanged.

@starch12313 AH alright, I get what you mean. For most children, that kind of attitude is pretty oppressive. I was more thinking from the ideal standpoint of the perfect parent where it more means that they live the rest of their lives caring for their children no matter how old they get. I think what confused me was that I was thinking from the Witch's perspective when she said that "a mother will always be a mother" instead of how the girls would possibly interpret that as "they should respect and forgive their parents no matter how they act"

@Manganime

Agree wholeheartedly lol. My comment was not meant to be directed to the lady. She is clearly shown to be a loving mother that cares deeply for her children. My comment was to address the validity of the statement. I have no doubt that the lady held no ill intent behind it, but Hotaka being someone that doesn't have a loving mother perceives that statement negatively. Its incorrevt because its a generalized statement and we're shown that it is wrong like a panel after it. Now im not some snowflake thats gonna yell at every mother I meet that says it lol. I know that when people say it, they say it with the implication of a good mother always being a mother. My comment was to just address the negative impacts of the statement, specifically in this story. Well also in real life because bad parents often use such a line on their children.

Dex-chan lover
cursseeeedd image

33-05674110c4bcdeb8f2fcb92e76bf30a8aad00dbbccf620c9efd9ae123f08b783.png

@starch12313
I see your point and I do agree. But in this case, I don’t think Hotaka perceives it negatively because she associates the statement to carry a negative connotation, as it implies that she has to respect her mother in spite of what she’s done, purely because she is her mother. I think it’s more so the fact that Hotaka is resentful. Having been cast out by her own mother, she doesn’t quite understand the sentiment behind the old lady’s statement, to Hotaka, it’s nothing but a lie and only served to reinforce her resentment towards her mother. As far as she’s concerned, it’s proof that her mother doesn’t give a damn about her.

Sorry, if my explanation makes no sense, I can’t articulate well what I want to say, as English is not my first language. Not to mention, it’s 4 am where i’m from so my mind’s in a jumbled state right now. But I hope that you were able to understand what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread