Oishinbo - Vol. 2 Ch. 16 - The Fish of Legend

Double-page supporter
Thanks for translating.
This was another one that had the official version in Ala Carte, so it's another interedting one to compare.

Though, in the official version the angler guy they met was called Yotsukata? Since you wrote his name as Yomo, I'm now curious what the name actually looks like originally.

Thanks for translating.
This was another one that had the official version in Ala Carte, so it's another interedting one to compare.

Though, in the official version the angler guy they met was called Yotsukata? Since you wrote his name as Yomo, I'm now curious what the name actually looks like originally.
A good observation.
The angler's name is written 四方. Due to the use of very common kanji, there are several different yet valid ways to read his name, among them:
  • Yotsukata
  • Yomo
  • Shiho
  • Shikata
  • Yokata
And other minor variations.
The manga unfortunately does not use Furigana, which would have confirmed how his name should be read. So instead, I (and presumably the official translator) had to just guess.

Double-page supporter
In my translation, the machine used "Shikata". I double checked it, and like you, saw there were several possible variations, that one included, so I just let it go at that. Seems all of us are just guessing in that regard. I frequently have to double check names because the machine I use just doesn't seem to be consistent.

Users who are viewing this thread