Oishinbo - Vol. 6 Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
This finishes up Volume 6, folks! Honestly, it might be the most nitpicky chapter I’ve come across. Bitching about just how wet the ends of your chopsticks are is just so hilariously petty to me.

On to Volume 7!

Can I ask if this is some sort of OCR -> MTL stuff?

Mainly as it seems odd to get バリ and パリ mixed up given the context and all.

Based on reading comments from other chapters, it is.

Please stop.

You literally do a disservice to the source material by butchering everything like this.

Please stop.

You literally do a disservice to the source material by butchering everything like this.
I have compared this chapter with the viz release, while it has some translation lost here and there I think it convey the story and the message from the chapter to the reader well enough.

I too, have some reservations when it come to MTL, but if it can help us to read and introduce to the other folks to one of the legendary Japanese manga, I see no harm on it.

And stop saying that using a MTL is a disgrace to the source material just because it won't perfectly convey every words on the translation you want, it's so pathetic and annoying!

Last edited:
I have compared this chapter with the viz release, while it has some translation lost here and there I think it convey the story and the message from the chapter to the reader well enough.

I too, have some reservations when it come to MTL, but if it can help us to read and introduce to the other folks to one of the legendary Japanese manga, I see no harm on it.

And stop saying that using a MTL is a disgrace to the source material just because it won't perfectly convey every words on the translation you want, it's so pathetic and annoying!

I also skimmed some of the other chapters, and a fair bit is just plain wrong.

For ref, I translate the anime for this manga - so am more than familiar with it.

--

The fact that you don't see harm by blatant mistranslations is disappointing - and how can you, someone who doesn't understand Japanese, have any real perspective on translation?

So, yes, while I'll admit that this can 'introduce' people to the series, it still does it a massive disservice in the long-run.

Nobody will ever come back to it and give it a faithful translation because of this.

If the 'translator' for this would like to talk to me directly, message me on discord:

I'm in here: https://discord.gg/9N8YWRR

Dex-chan lover

Please stop.

It is. But, I do go through it and try and fix odd sentences and what not as best I can.

I also skimmed some of the other chapters, and a fair bit is just plain wrong.

For ref, I translate the anime for this manga - so am more than familiar with it.

--

The fact that you don't see harm by blatant mistranslations is disappointing - and how can you, someone who doesn't understand Japanese, have any real perspective on translation?

So, yes, while I'll admit that this can 'introduce' people to the series, it still does it a massive disservice in the long-run.

Nobody will ever come back to it and give it a faithful translation because of this.

If the 'translator' for this would like to talk to me directly, message me on discord:

I'm in here: https://discord.gg/9N8YWRR

I'm familiar with your TL of the anime. I watch it regularly. I'm not going to claim that it's a great TL since I do use a machine for it. That wasn't my intention when I started doing it. I just wanted to provide a readable version of the series for myself and for folks who feel that the Viz a'la carte volumes were insufficient. I also have an agreement with a more experienced translator (Mugiwara) who is more knowledgeable about Japanese than I am to follow my chapters with a more in depth translation. If it's a problem for folks though, let me know, I'll step aside and let Mugiwara finish it. My only desire is to see the series completely translated.

It is. But, I do go through it and try and fix odd sentences and what not as best I can.

I'm familiar with your TL of the anime. I watch it regularly. I'm not going to claim that it's a great TL since I do use a machine for it. That wasn't my intention when I started doing it. I just wanted to provide a readable version of the series for myself and for folks who feel that the Viz a'la carte volumes were insufficient. I also have an agreement with a more experienced translator (Mugiwara) who is more knowledgeable about Japanese than I am to follow my chapters with a more in depth translation. If it's a problem for folks though, let me know, I'll step aside and let Mugiwara finish it. My only desire is to see the series completely translated.
Look, I can't stop you from doing this, but could you at least make it more obvious that this is MTL?

Even just a note on the first page - mainly so people don't go in thinking it's a faithful translation.

(happy to provide more detailed feedback via discord)

Dex-chan lover
I'd love to see an actual person demonstrate how to eat ochazuke and only getting the chopsticks 1 cm wet. With that much liquid in the bowl I feel like you'd have to dip in at least 2 cm to even get to the rice at all.

Dex-chan lover
Look, I can't stop you from doing this, but could you at least make it more obvious that this is MTL?

Even just a note on the first page - mainly so people don't go in thinking it's a faithful translation.

(happy to provide more detailed feedback via discord)
I've been pretty open about it in the comments here as well as over on Reddit when I post the full volumes up on the internet archive (where in the description I make note that the translation is done using a machine's assistance). I'm not sure exactly where I could make a note on the pages that it's MTL, but I've certainly never tried to hide it if that's the implication.

I don't have a discord, though, but I am on reddit (same username) and obviously here. I'm happy to receive anything detailed you want to send me.

I've been pretty open about it in the comments here as well as over on Reddit when I post the full volumes up on the internet archive (where in the description I make note that the translation is done using a machine's assistance). I'm not sure exactly where I could make a note on the pages that it's MTL, but I've certainly never tried to hide it if that's the implication.

I don't have a discord, though, but I am on reddit (same username) and obviously here. I'm happy to receive anything detailed you want to send me.
Sent some stuff via reddit, since it's easier to get in touch via that

Dex-chan lover
i don't particularly care for quality for a speed scan as long it convey enough.
especially for a long ass epic like Oishinbo,
the more people work on it the better.

so yeah, Thank you Bippi for working on this legendary anime that doesn't have proper english translation other than that ala carte translation

Users who are viewing this thread