Oishinbo - Vol. 8 Ch. 4 - Hometown Sweetfish

Dex-chan lover
Well he did start off the series with a lot of wins.

But this is... interesting? He should have learned this lesson already with the Greek singer and soul food. I hope it's more that he gets so obsessed over his dad that he needs to learn to cool off to beat him and not that it's sloppy writing.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, I forgot to add a couple of notes that I had when I posted, so here they are:

First of all, this is one of the chapters that was adapted into the anime. So, we get a bit more backstory on what caused the injury (it was all Tomii's fault :p... Even though he doesn't make an appearance in this chapter). Also, the chapter title was translated as something like "Ayu Hometown", which Ayu just means "beautiful, etc".

Well he did start off the series with a lot of wins.

But this is... interesting? He should have learned this lesson already with the Greek singer and soul food. I hope it's more that he gets so obsessed over his dad that he needs to learn to cool off to beat him and not that it's sloppy writing.
It's been established a few times (and it will be again) that Shiro has blinders on when it comes to Kaibara. This wasn't the first time this happened and it won't be the last. One of the main arcs of the manga as a whole seems to have been that Shiro needs to let go of his anger before he can truly become a better person than his father.

Dex-chan lover
Also, the chapter title was translated as something like "Ayu Hometown", which Ayu just means "beautiful, etc".
No, it's actually not. Ayu means sweetfish. So the title of this chapter (and the episode, presumably) simply translates to "Hometown of Sweetfish".
I think there are Japanese sayings that compares young ladies to sweetfish, so maybe that's what was messing up the translation or something, but the word "ayu" 鮎 really literally just means the fish.

Dex-chan lover
No, it's actually not. Ayu means sweetfish. So the title of this chapter (and the episode, presumably) simply translates to "Hometown of Sweetfish".
I think there are Japanese sayings that compares young ladies to sweetfish, so maybe that's what was messing up the translation or something, but the word "ayu" 鮎 really literally just means the fish.
Actually, I can see you're right and where I made my mistake. I happened to misread it as the Javanese given name Ayu on Wikipedia. I'll fix it. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Dex-chan lover
Aah, that makes sense. "Javanese" and "Japanese" can be easily confused.

Dex-chan lover
Aah, that makes sense. "Javanese" and "Japanese" can be easily confused.
Yeah, that’s my fault for not paying closer attention. I had like 8 tabs open at the time trying to figure out both what the translation actually was, and then what it meant and I mistook the Wikipedia definition of the Javanese given name for the Japanese translation.

But yeah, title’s fixed. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Users who are viewing this thread