Okazari Ouhi ni Nattanode, Kossori Hataraki ni Deru Koto ni Shimashita - Ch. 14.4

Dex-chan lover
Mangakas should take more writing classes bcs dropping a deux ex machina like that is always bullshit and they tend to do that A LOT!

I get the sense that most mangaka probably get into making manga because they enjoy drawing and that having to write the story is like a secondary concern. And it's probably some combination of that, the fact that these sorts of tropes and regular storytelling structures have become commonplace over the decades, and the absolute breakneck pace and meatgrinder tendencies of publishing stories that have combined to make this sort of slipshod writing acceptable.

A smart publisher would round up their newest crop of potential mangaka and give them an 8-10 week crash course on the basics of creative writing taught by people who write prose stories, novels, and plays for a living. Teach them about planning and plotting, pacing, characterization, consistency of voice, proper use of foreshadowing, narrative cohesion, and the other things that make a story not suck.

But that's probably not financially viable compared to simply throwing them into the deep end of the pool and then simply replacing the ones who drown with fresh meat.

Dex-chan lover
I get the sense that most mangaka probably get into making manga because they enjoy drawing and that having to write the story is like a secondary concern. And it's probably some combination of that, the fact that these sorts of tropes and regular storytelling structures have become commonplace over the decades, and the absolute breakneck pace and meatgrinder tendencies of publishing stories that have combined to make this sort of slipshod writing acceptable.

A smart publisher would round up their newest crop of potential mangaka and give them an 8-10 week crash course on the basics of creative writing taught by people who write prose stories, novels, and plays for a living. Teach them about planning and plotting, pacing, characterization, consistency of voice, proper use of foreshadowing, narrative cohesion, and the other things that make a story not suck.

But that's probably not financially viable compared to simply throwing them into the deep end of the pool and then simply replacing the ones who drown with fresh meat.
Absolutely.

And I’ll add that readers have a role in that as well. Unlike novels readers, manga readers like anime watchers are always so entitled to their chapter/episode per week; to me, they look like a monstrous giant baby entity, that the publisher must feed every week to avoid angering it.
They’re too used to instantaneous pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread